15

3.06
let the angels commit

If you want to be a surgeon you must be committed to what you do. You can't just walk in and say I want to save lives, you have to be committed. You have to know what you're gonna miss by giving your life away to save someone else's. You can't just give up and throw in the towel when it gets hard.

A week ago I told Derek I kissed Mark and he didn't take it very well by that I mean he has been giving me the cold shoulder. It sucks one because he's my bestfriend and two because he's the head of Neuro so I'm basically not allowed anywhere near anyone with any Neuro problem.

I was with George, Meredith and sadly Alex watching Cristina boss around 3rd year residents.

"Burke's back and suddenly Christina's running his board. Who does she think she is, Bailey?" George asked while we watched her from the top of the stairs.

"She's helping him." Meredith defended her.

"She's taking advantage. She gets out of rounds, she scrubs in on every surgery Burke does, she's ordered around 3rd year residents." Alex explained as if we weren't watching. Does he think we don't have eyes to see that?

"You're overreacting." I stand up for another one of my best friends but then she actually grabs the marker from the nurse's hand and starts writing on the board.

"She's writing on the board!" George exclaimed.

"Maybe I should sleep with Burke." Alex let out sounding a bit too serious if you ask me.

"I wouldn't put it past you. You like sleeping with old people, don't you?" I question knowing he was sending a glare my way but I just kept looking straight.

"He slept with you. You're only 22."

"Don't remind me George." I scoff as I walk away when my pager goes off.

"Dr. Bailey you paged?" I asked as interrupting her and Izzies conversation.

"Dr. Allen." Bailey just said my name and pointed at me making me confused.

"Lucy?" Izzie let out turning her head to look at me. I am the only one here who's not confused, why do they keep saying my name?

"You are to make sure that Stevens observes only." Bailey instructed and I finally got it. She's gonna be shadowing me hopefully only for today.

"You want me to?"

"Wait Lucy? Lucy is the boss of me." Izzie let out a slight chuckle as she smile and accepted it.

We walked out of that hallway, and Izzie was laughing the whole way. She's in disbelief that someone who's 4 years younger than her is her boss for today.

"I'm sorry about this." I told her as we went through the doors, she even held them for me.

"It's not your fault. Hey you want me to fetch you some coffee? Rub your feet maybe?" Izzie asked and I took a second to think if I could use a coffee.

"I did not ask for this assignment." I told her for the third time. It's not my fault Bailey picked me.

"It's fine...I'm fine with it. Oh, I'm so sorry." Izzie lied as she bumped into people who are talking to Derek.

"Dr. Stevens. Welcome back." Derek greeted her and acted like I wasn't stand right there.

"Hello to you too Derek." I smiled trying to make him do the same but he just turned around and whispered something into his sister's ear who then looked back just to glare at me.

I rolled my eyes and went down to the pit and obviously Izzie followed. I pulled gauze off a young woman's burnt hand.

"Ow. Iz, set me up for debriedment, and dressing." I instruct after I got a good look at burn. It was absolutely disgusting, nice.

"It's stupid. I know better. When I'm setting up for the bar... I'm a mess. I can't focus on anything for weeks, but tourts and real property and constitutional law." My patient explained.

"Uh the Biosynthetic ones." I told Izzie when she gave me the wrong dressing.

"We never use those." Izzie replied.

"We do now. Sloan changed the burn protocol last week." I inform her rolling my eyes at the mention of Dr. Sloan.

"I was about to start a practice test. I wanted something to drink. So I put on some tea. So I put on a pot of water and forgot. Half an hour into my section on contracts and the smoke alarm was blaring...and well you know the rest." My patient Gretchen continued to explain how she got into this situation.

"So you're going to be a lawyer?" I asked trying to make conversation.

"All I have to do is pass the bar exam. I failed last time...but this time I'm ready. I'm going to pass." Gretchen sounded very confident and enthusiastic that she'll pass and I bet she will.

"Good for you." Izzie uttered so I side eyed her basically trying to remind her to not talk in the nicest way possible.

I paged Mark to fix her up. They were talking but I wasn't listening I was filling out the paperwork since apparently Marks hand can't do anything but stitch and cut.

Izzie took me to the hallway cause she "had to tell me something."

"She's lying. Something's off about Gretchen's story." Izzie told me and at this point I'm a bit confused on what she doesn't understand about only observing.

"Izzie, you're only supposed to be observing." I reminded her once again, since it seems like everything I tell her goes in one ear and out of the other.

"I am observing. I'm observing closely. Did you see her reaction when Sloan told her she'd be okay to take the test again. That was not relief. That was panic." Izzie explained her worry as she looked at Gretchen through the window.

"It's okay to be nervous about being back here at work, about failing. But you haven't been here a whole day yet and already you're pushing to bend the rules." I respond trying to be supportive since I know things are hard for her right now but I don't need to be babysitting someone who's older than me or anyone for that matter.

"This is so not about me. This is about our patient. I'm worried about our patient. And get off your high freaking horse." Izzie insulted me which kinda was my last straw. Im so sick of everyone having something to say about my ego. It's called confidence and the people around here need some.

"This is my patient. Try to remember that." I replied with slight anger in my voice.

"Fine, whatever." Izzie puts on a fake smile and walks away.

1133 words
"you disgust me"