26

3.10
don't stand so close to me

Today George, Alex, Izzie and I all got put on the conjoined twins case which is probably one of the best cases we've ever gotten. The two twins fight like cats and dogs but that's pretty expected.

The interns and Bailey all left the room and apparently we left our professionalism in there with the fighting twins.

"I'm calling it. It's mine." Alex called the case as if he can even do that.

"You don't get to just call it! Bailey chooses and I'm clearly the best choice." I turned to Alex with a smile cause we both know I am kicking his ass in the plastic and the Neuro which this case is all about.

"I have two brothers. I feel their pain." George had a good point.

"I would be great at watching this." Izzie told Bailey as we stopped at the counter. The four of us stood in a line behind Bailey.

"Zip it, all of you." Bailey demanded so of course we did.

"We're all on the case right?" Alex questioned just to make sure none of us are gonna get stuck in SCUT.

"Right."

"Yes!" We all exclaimed at the same time. I had a cheeky grin on my face which didn't leave until I saw Mark Sloan walking up to us.

"So this is the crack team?" Mark questioned as he leaned against the counter next to me.

"I was thinking more of the A-team but sure crack team works." I joke as I saw the way his muscle flexed as he leaned on the counter and I immediately had to look away before I start drooling.

"Feel free to take one." Bailey told him. This is the only time I want Mark Sloan to pick me for anything plastics related.

"I'll take Allen." Dr. Sloan said still looking down at the twins chart. My cheeky grin returned as I bragged to my friends.

I follow Mark after he dropped the chart on the counter.

"Thank you for picking me." I thank Mark Sloan as we walk through the hallway toward the stairwell. I know it doesn't sound right to me either.

"I thought you might be fun to look at while I work." Sloan told me as I trailed behind him. What is wrong with this McWhores brain?

"Will you be working on both the skin graft and the nerve reconstruction?" I questioned as he stopped going up the stairs to turn to face me for some reason.

"Yes. And I think I'll handle both better with a little caffeine in my system. Get me a blueberry scone, a bone dry cappuccino, and a little something for yourself." Mark tried handing me a twenty to go get his coffee and blueberry scone. Which is disgusting. Who in their right mind enjoys blueberry scones?

"There's a cafeteria on the second floor, and a coffee cart in the lobby." I told Mark cause we both know I am not getting him coffee. He tells me to everyday and he knew gets one unless it's from Karev.

"Feisty. Cappuccino." Sloan put the money close to me as he looked my lips. He was trying to charm me into getting him coffee. What a McSleaze.

"You can kick me back to Bailey if you want. But we both know I don't do coffee. So how will you be handling the skin graft and nerve reconstruction?" I asked as we started making our way up the stairs.

We went into the OR where everyone else who's on this case was waiting. Derek was working on a model of the twins and a room full of exactly 22 surgeons, I counted, was watching him.

"22 surgeons. It takes 22 surgeons to do this." I told George who was standing across from me as we both kept on watching Derek and the model.

"Where are we?" Dr. Webber questioned.

"I've gotten to the cauda equina." Dr. Shepherd answered being ever so careful while handing the model.

"I'll be working on the musculature of the perineal floor." Dr. Bailey replied as she looked up at the chief. As they were talking I thought how it feels so wrong to be in the OR without a mask on.

"I'll be harvesting the sural nerve for transfer." Dr. Sloan added on looking at Derek's hands.

"Now once I resect this artery, we're going to have less than two minutes before all sensation to these nerves is gone." Derek explained making me understand how risky this surgery is. No offense to Lauren but they definitely found the best Neurosurgeon for this.

"I'm pretty sure we'll have enough nerve to transfer and cover the deficits. We can definitely do this." Mark encouraged Derek but he wasn't having it. He didn't think he could "definitely do this."

As I looked away for the slightest moment Derek broke something inside the model. "Damn it. It's going to be a lot more fragile in the body. It's one thing if this is a life and death situation where this is all we can do to save them. But these people are fine. This isn't worth the risk." Derek told the group as he threw down his tools and left.

Everyone slowly left the OR after making sure that Derek definitely wasn't coming back. I followed Mark into the hallway where we once again just randomly stopped walking.

"You think you can talk him into doing this?" Mark questioned making me roll my eyes. If anyone can convince Derek Shepherd into doing something it's Meredith Grey.

"It doesn't matter if I can or cannot. I won't try to. If he doesn't want to do this procedure no one can force him into doing anything he's doesn't want to." I responded sounding like I could be the hospital shrink.

"You won't even talk to him about it? I can give you a reward." Sloan gave me the McSteamy face. He was once again trying to charm me into doing something for him.

"If you'll excuse me. I think I just threw up in my mouth." I excused myself but really to just go to lunch.

1033 words
"you wish you never ever met her at all"