36

I spent the rest of the day practicing until it became a muscle memory. I skipped lunch just to get this right. Even if I did go I wouldn't have been able to eat since I'm totally stressed out. Now it's time to actually do it. I better pull this off or so many people won't let me hear the end of it.

I was in the scrub room for Jane Doe's OR absolutely bricking this. It's a lot less nerve wracking when you're practicing on a fake face. I am about to do a bone transplant on a real person with a real face by myself. Im already scrub in even though they are barely putting Jane Doe under the anesthesia.

"You been practicing? You know the chief will be watching today." Mark asked after he stood next to me and began washing his hands.

"The chief, right, of course." I scoff and adjust my light blue scrub cap. That's all he cares about the chief and possibly becoming the chief. He was all set to leave Seattle until he heard that the chiefs spot was up for grabs.

"Of course what?" Dr. Sloan stopped washing his hands to return my eye contact.

"Lauren was right about you. You're using the presence of my father to win points with the chief. It's pathetic and I'm not gonna play." I told him and looking back at it I was definitely just trying to find an easy way out of doing this. I am scared that I will fuck this up. I'm not gonna lie about that. I am absolutely fucking terrified.

I grabbed a mask and started walking towards the OR doors but Mark stepped infront of me and stopped me from leaving. That's hot but whatever.

"The chief, the way he was looking at you this morning. It was like you were nothing but a famous last name. You do this procedure and you do it well, he'll start looking at you like a surgeon again. But you wanna think of me as pathetic, you wanna pass up this shot, that's up to you." Sloan easily convinced me to do this. I would probably do anything he told me when we make eye contact. He's just really fucking hot.

I just nod and walk around him into the OR doors. I can do this. I can't do this. I can do this. I can't do this. I can do this. I can't do this. I can do this? I can't do this?

It was almost time. Deep breaths Lucy. I noticed Mark looked up into the gallery. I follow his gaze and saw Richard, Lauren, and my dad all watching the surgery intently. We both breathe a heavy sigh. Why is my dad up there? Seeing his face just made me ten times more nervous.

"You ready?" Dr. Sloan asked smirking behind his mask.

"Osteotome and hammer." I ask for the surgical instruments needed to perform the bone transplant. No backing out now.

"Use the curved osteotome to elevate the external table. Gently." Sloan instructed and I finally started. I was right this is much different than practicing with that fake face with rubber skin and bones. Different but not too bad.

I did it. I removed the first piece of bone. I can do this.

"Beautiful." Mark let out under his breath. I'm gonna Imogene said this about me and not the bone transplant later. Just kidding, Mark Sloan is a McPig.

I finish the bone transplant and Mark does the facial reconstructive surgery. This Jane Doe is already looking much better.

Mark and I are the first into the scrub room. My eyes were a bit heavy but I didn't care. I am over the moon, like a dog with two tails, a happy camper.

"Well done Moore." Mark complemented me as he washed his hands in the sink right next to me even though there are two others further away.

"You're the one who gave her a new face. Just so we're clear I still totally hate plastics." I told him as I ripped off my mask to reveal my grin. I am normally always a happy lady but today I am on cloud nine.

I finished scrubbing out way before he did and turned towards the door. "Good luck with your interview with the board." I stop before I leave just to wish him good luck. I don't know what came over me but I just had to say that.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?"

"To get a burger, or maybe a piece pizza. Oh I could eat that cake Izzie made for me. I also really need a Diet Coke." I overshare my thoughts for what I'm going to eat making him laugh a bit. I am starving. This is why I hate being under a lot of stressed I cannot eat hell I can't even look at food without getting nauseous.

Later that night I needed to get my mind off my dad's board meeting so I made Alex have a movie marathon with me. First we watching pretty woman, grease, the notebook, and now I'm making him watch titanic. He's just lucky we're not having another I love Lucy marathon. I love that show mostly because her name is Lucy and so is mine.

We're only at the beginning of titanic when Alex randomly just started looking at me instead of movie.

"What are you looking at?" I questioned with a cheeky smile as I stuffed my face with popcorn. Do I have something on my face? No, he's looking at me like he something to get off his chest.

"Nothing. It's nothing." Alex trailed off.

"Whatever it is just say it."

"Be my official girlfriend." Alex let out making me smile grow which I didn't even think was possible.

"We're basically already are dating it wouldn't hurt to label it." I replied trying to sound all chill but on the inside I am just to opposite.

I've only ever had one boyfriend before and I thought it was supposed to feel like the movies but it just didn't. It felt like love but not like true meant to be type of love. I can't tell if I feel that way about Alex yet. After all I am only 22. I can't help but wonder if I'm supposed to end up with someone else and I just started dating Alex. I wonder if he thinks the same thing. I see the way he looks at Jane Doe and Addison. What if one of them is the person for him? What if there is someone else for me?

I forget about those thoughts and continue watching titanic with my official boyfriend. The movies ended with tears and all of them being mine.

1142 words
"It was a bad idea to think you were the one"