35

3.19
my favorite mistake

Earlier Alex and I checked up with Jane Doe and Mark showed her, her new face options. I wonder which one she'll pick, I'll be honest anything is better than what she's got going on right now.

Bailey was leading her interns in the hall and we just so happen to run into to Richard.

"Dr. Bailey." The chief greeted Miranda.

"Chief, our Jane Doe's getting a new face today." Bailey told him as she held the Jane Does chart.

"Well, that's exciting." Richard responded with a forced smile on his face.

"Dr. Moore, what can you tell me about reconstructive neuro floor?" Dr. Sloan came out of nowhere and asked me scaring me a bit. He must've followed down here and I didn't even notice.

"Was he here the whole time? Uh, sorry, you can create a new base from the eye socket by harvesting bone from the skull." I answered while Marks blue eyes stared into my blue eyes.

"Dr. Bailey, Dr. Moore will be scrubbing in on the Jane Doe case. Come on, I'll show you how to do it without breaking the bone graft into a million pieces." Sloan let out as he started walking the other way still looking into my eyes. He even sort of smiled at me. I was full on smiling from ear to ear with this news. I get to do a Calvarial bone harvest by myself.

"Congratulations, Dr. Moore." Richard said while I now trailed behind Mark still beaming.

Alex and I were in Jane Doe's room. Alex is here because he's on Montgomerys service. Today is the only day I'm actually happy to be with Sloan instead of Addison even though my all time favorite is being with Jordan Kenley in PEDs and I like to think those kids totally adore me especially when I have to wake them up at four am every morning to do prerounds.

"Did you choose a face?" I asked the Jane Doe as she continued to look through the different face options. That would be so cool to get to literally pick what you look like, or that's just what I think.

"Not yet. I was hoping I'd see one of them and I don't know, recognize myself. I don't recognize any of these women. What if I choose the wrong one? What if my husband or boyfriend or whose ever baby this is, shows up tomorrow with a picture of what I'm supposed to look like but it's too late, and I'm stuck with the wrong face for the rest of my life?" Jane doe expressed her worries about having to choose her new face. I understand where she's coming from but like I already said anything is better than what she's got going on now.

"Ok, that would suck but if you don't pick one...this is gonna be your face the rest of your life." Alex showed her a mirror to show her busted up unrecognizable face.

I was now at a computer studying every possible thing about the Calvarial bone harvest. I don't want to mess this up or else Sloan won't ever let this go. I'm also trying to hide from my dad who has his board interview today hopefully they totally hate his over confident ego. I mean the man can talk about himself for hours on end.

"Hey." Derek and Lauren both greeted me as they walked over to the counter I was sitting behind.

"Hey guys. Shouldn't you be preparing for your board interview?" I asked Derek not looking up from this article.

"I am."

"You better be and you better have a better impression than our dad. He cannot be chief." I told him in a strict voice. I was trying to give off that Bailey vibe but I am literally the exact opposite of Bailey. She's terrifying and I am definitely not.

"Dude, your dad is one of the best neurosurgeons ever. I think it's safe to say no matter what he'll make a good first impression." Derek responded making Lauren and I look at each other and laugh. Our dad hates when people call him on of the best neurosurgeons he believes he is the best. Anything less than the best is mediocre in his eyes.

"Don't let him hear you say that." Lauren joked and only I knew what she meant by saying this.

"Derek. You need to have a better mindset. Don't think about the competition think about what you can do for this hospital. What do you bring to the table?" I asked a rhetorical question just to give him something to think about.

"Whatcha reading there?" Lauren questioned as she moved to stand beside me to try to see what I looking at.

"The process of a Calvarial bone harvest. I get to do a Calvarial bone harvest on Sloan's Jane Doe later." I exclaimed beaming once again. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I better not fuck this up.

"Sloan's gonna let you do a harvest?" Derek asked in a shock tone.

"By yourself?" Lauren asked in an even more shocked tone.

"By myself. Isn't that cool?" I smile as the computer as I continue to read about the Calvarial bone harvest.

"Ok, then. We better let you study." Lauren let out a low sigh.

"Yeah, stop distracting me. What if I maim Jane Doe cause of you guys?" I say as the two friends walked off together. I'd like to note that this friendship wouldn't be a thing if it wasn't for me.

After about one more hour of studying I moved into an empty room and began practicing for the Calvarial bone harvest. I was very focused and relaxed until Lauren came barging it. How does everyone always know where I am?

"Y'know that hot dermatologist? He asked me on a date. Should I go?" Lauren questioned as she quickly stood infront of me blocking the light.

"Lauren." I mumbled under my breath.

"You're harvesting." Lauren stated to obvious as she set down a chart shaking the table I was working on.

"I'm trying to be calm and happy but this graft, it's really tricky." I sighed.

"Mm-hmm. You don't have to do it, you know. I talked to Mark and uh..." I cut Lauren off as soon as she said she talked to Mark. That definitely means she told Mark I can't do this, and he's just setting me up to fail.

"You what?"

"I talked to Mark. I mean, Lucy this is, uh, it's a complex procedure." Lauren replied as I gave her a slight glare. That was my first dirty look of the today, that's a record.

"You don't think I can do it?" I asked with a little bit of anger in my tone.

"When has Mark Sloan allowed his interns to do anything? Let alone harvest a bone graft?" Lauren questioned using the stuff I told her when I complain against me. I can do this, and now I have to or else she'll be right.

"He's in the race for chief. He's trying to prove he can teach." I defend Mark which I didn't really enjoy doing.

"By teaching you. Our dad is the front runner for chief. What will that say about him if his daughter fails? Mark is trying to gain points to play." Lauren explained her thoughts making me roll my eyes for the first time today as well.

"You think he's using me?" I asked in disbelief and disgust.

"If it goes well, he gets the credit. But if it goes poorly, he gets the save and dad gets knocked down a peg. I'm just trying to protect you." Lauren let out trying to convince me to not let Mark "use me." I don't think he's using me and maybe dad does need to get knocked down a peg.

"I don't need you to protect me. Close the door on your way out." I told her as I went back to practicing. Lauren leaves slamming the door on her way out.

1355 words
"Cos I'm getting pretty fucking tired"