Confidence

September 26, 2015

I timidly knocked the freshly painted white door. The house was small and a light blue color. There were lace curtains on the square windows.

Matilda eagerly swung the door open. She looked very different without hair but she was still a beautiful young girl. She ran out and jumped into my arms. I graciously accepted her hug.

"Hi Matilda!" Hayley excitedly said. Matilda let go of me and greeted the rest of the band and Hayley.

Anne appeared at the doorway, looking a lot different than I remembered. Her hair was cut in a 2012 danisnotonfire-esque style and she was wearing ripped jeans and a hoodie.

"Oh hi Anne!" I smiled warmly at her. She looked uncomfortable and beckoned for me to follow her inside.

"Hey, could I talk to all of you guys?" Anne said to the rest of the band, Matilda, and Hayley.

We gathered in the living room with their parents who gave us a warm welcome.

"Hey guys, uh... I know this visit is all about Matilda so I'll make this short. For the past year and a half I've been struggling with gender identity, sexuality, and all that fun stuff. I would like to come out to all of you as transgender officially. I would like to be referred to with he/him pronouns and I'm going to go but the name Oliver. Oh yeah, and I like guys."

We all seemed to be at a loss for words.

Jon stood up and, for a moment, I was afraid he was going to walk out of the room. To my surprise, he actually walked over to Oliver and gave him a big hug.

"I'm so proud of you," he said.

Oliver burst into tears and hugged Jon back. It was a beautiful moment, as the two had never interacted very much.

We decided to leave so Oliver could talk with his family about his personal situation. As we were leaving we noticed Matilda waving out the window with tears in her eyes. I was concerned for a moment but she seemed to notice and smiled at me.

Happy tears?

I waved back as we climbed into our cars and made our way back to our homes.

..............................................................................

Hey, sorry this chapter was incredibly short. It's becoming more and more difficult for me to write. I've lost all motivation and the only time when I want to write is very late at night. Yeah... it's 2 am right now. The next chapter will be much better, I pinky promise. Sorry to disappoint.
-Samantha