Chapter 19

Hiruzen sat in his office early the next morning as he finished reading the full report, somehow key members of the civilian council were able to slip permission forms into his massive stack of paperwork that granted the civilian council control of the Academy and what is taught there. Including the removal of all mentions of the Uzumaki clan and its ties to the Leaf.

None of these things were voted on so the Hokage can simply reverse them. He also found that money has been paid out to parties that should have no access to Shinobi funds. That too can be reversed but it will be impossible to try and reclaim. The worst part was the budget, all bills are paid but there is literally nothing left. It will be hard to complete the deal with Teuchi, and impossible to restart the medic ninja program he knew would be required to get Tsunade back and active again.

And it was all done in a way so no one in the Shinobi council would know unless they really…really check. Hiruzen admitted that if Chief hadn't come back he doubted anyone would have found it.

"What is the verdict," Chie spoke from behind the Hokage, causing the old man to jump.

"Our strength is fake, we have no money any extra has been handed to 'investors' and we have not seen a cent." The Hokage replied. "Truth is we are broke."

"Can you reverse it?" Chief asked as he took a puff from a cigar.

"I can but at our present rate it will take more than six months to regain our surplus, we won't be able to...the Chunin exams will be costly, and I don't think we can carry out that plan of yours."

"Not an option," Chief spoke. "We have to go through with it."

"Where are we going to get the three hundred million to cover the exams, your little side project, Teuchi AND the damn Medic Ninja Program."

"Well, not from me this time as I am outfitting the ANBU and my little group in new armor." Chief smiled and what little light the Hokage had in his eyes dim. "But there is one place to get that kind of money,"

The Hokage looked up and the Chief gave the grin that usually caused the old man to cringe. "Tanzaku Town annual grand poker tournament, this year's grand prize...five hundred million."

"Are you drunk?" Hokage asked. shocked at the insane idea.

"What happens when I get drunk?" Chief replied.

"You tend to kill everyone you're not happy with," the old man replied. "But you are crazy, the only winner is the one who beats everyone else and with that pay out your looking at...three hundred people."

"At least, I am guessing closer to five hundred. Plus, she will be there." Chief spoke and got his attention.

"Doubt it, they won't let her in unless she actually pays off her debt first." Hokage replied.

"Or someone else pays it off first," chief smiled. "A successful author that is willing to do anything for her?"

"What is the buy-in?"

"Half a million gets a seat," Chief confirmed.

"I won't be able to get that much, there are just not enough missions that we can do right now," Hokage shook his head.