The Inability to Forget About the One You Long For

Wang Fei's POV

I gazed out of the window, captivated by the snowy scenery, as Christmas infused the city with enchantment. My schedule, usually rigorous, granted me a moment of respite. I was drowned in my own dreamland when "Dr Wang, May I come inside?" a voice of a man broke my reverie.

I answered "Come in please," as I took my seat inside my chamber. As the man stepped inside, I gestured him to sit down and welcomed him with a warm smile.

"Merry Christmas Dr Wang."

"Merry Christmas to you too mister, tell me what problems are you facing?" I replied.

"No, No Mr Wang I'm perfectly fine." I looked at him with a questioning gaze and confused eyes as this was the first time someone is visiting a doctor and telling that he is healthy.

He continued "I am Zhi Lian from National Public University of Beijing, Junior Professor of Physics, Science Department. You are invited to Annual Day this year as the Chief guest. It will be our honour if you can manage time and please attend the program."

I couldn't believe my ears that what I heard was true or not...a rush of thoughts circled round my mind, after a minute or two I replied bracing myself up, "That's my honour to be a part of such an event, but may I know why its me? I'm young and not much experienced unlike the other doctors in this Hospital."

"No you're wrong doctor, don't underestimate yourself we all know that you're one of the best cardiac Surgeons here in China and you're such a successful personality at such an young age. Most of the medical students are still pursuing their degree at your age and here you've completed both MBBS and MD and your success record is highest here in Beijing. Our Chancellor wants you to be our special chief guest and give a speech on how to control the risk of heart attacks and maintain good health. All the colleges under University of Beijing are coming. So we will be honoured if you come. Here's the invitation, please accept it. "

"Thank you Professor. I'll surely go." I said taking the invitation from him being delighted.

"Then I am taking my leave now, have a nice day and nice year ahead" He replied as he got up from his chair.

"No Professor Zhi wait let me order coffee for you, don't leave yet."

"Thank you so much for your generousness but I will have it some other day, today I don't have much time. I have a packed schedule today, I'm sorry please don't mind."

"Okay then, I will treat you some other day, it was a pleasure meeting you. Have a good day" I replied Professor Zhi Lian and walked him out of the hospital.

I had dawn duty today in hospital so, after professor Zhi left and there were no emergency and OPD was also closed today, so I packed my things and took my leave from the hospital and reached my apartment. I lived alone here as my family moved to South Korea due to my father's job purpose. I took a hot shower and made myself an instant coffee. I took out the invitation from my bag and opened it. It was red in colour. There were two cards, one mentioned the date (01/01/2032) and my name and another card wished me Happy New Year in advance and Merry Christmas in Golden font. I always loved drawing, it was my hobby since I was a kid so I took my time to admire the beauty of the greetings card.
↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠

01/01/2032,

I couldn't sleep last night due to my inner excitement surfacing through my whole body. Today is the first day of January and the Annual event is today. I am nervous and excited both at the same time. I dressed up in a formal attire to make myself look presentable in front of so many people.