Chapter One: Unexpected

It was a bright, sunny and warm day in the downtown area of Chicago. The sun shined through the windows of Jamie's small apartment, the loud beeping of her alarm clock woke her up from her slumber, she peaked one eye open to read the clock and jolted out of her futon as she saw the digits, 8:00 AM. Jamie quickly picked up her bed and folded it back into it's couch form then running into the small bathroom for a shower. Jamie's apartment was small, once you walk into the door there was the living room/bedroom, a table with a lamp on top of it right on the left when you walk in, next to the table was the futon/couch, a few inches from the futon was a shabby coffee table with a remote with the word "Xfinity" printed on it laid on the coffee table, a small flower pot with fake flowers, mostly of daisies. Toward wall where the two windows were in the middle was another black table, a 26 inch tv sitting on it, on the bottom were two glass doors, a cabinet that held the cable box, a DVD player and a CD/AM/FM radio on the side. In the back was the kitchen, again small but it had a stovetop, an oven, a microwave above it and a few cabinets, there was cutout that showed the whole living room/bedroom with a small and narrow counter attached to it, across from the kitchen were two doors, one was a coat closet where Jamie's clothes hung and a bathroom the size of an airplane bathroom. Although she didn't have the best of the best, she made the best of it, with the salary of $850 every two weeks she likes to keep her mind at ease, rent is $100 a month, her light bill is only $200, cable bill is $90 dollars a month leaving her around $410 dollars for herself. Everything has always been a struggle with Jamie, the way she lived, she wanted to try and change it but things just kept getting in the way. She got out of the shower wiping the steamy fog off the mirror, a white towel wrapped around her body tightly, turning on the faucet letting the cold water run over her toothbrush before she started brushing her teeth Jamie began to plan out today in her head, hoping those plans to stay the way she wants them too. After she finished washing up and getting dressed in white shorts, a black narrow sleeve top with three small gold buttons in the middle and slipping into a pair of black Toms. Jamie put her now dry hair in a pony tail with loose natural curls she pushed her side bangs and tucked them behind her ear, she grabbed a poptart pouch from the pantry and her purse from the closet and went on her way to work.

Traffic was hectic, Jamie looked out the window of the cab she was in and saw the sky began to get cloudy and dark, what happened to the beautiful day? That's the thing about Chicago, the weather changes every 3 hours even if you like it or not. A sigh escaped her lips, she reached into her purse and paid the taxi driver and hopped out of the car, the news station was a block away so she started to run before the rain caught her. Jamie made it just in time, she walked through the doors of the building for GNGC news on channel 10, it wasn't a famous station, it was more of an independent news station, they showed everything they would on the others like world news, the weather, sports. Jamie was an assistant broadcaster in case someone didn't show up she would take their place but since that hasn't happened yet she worked the cameras, camera number 2 to be exact. It wasn't a big job, she didn't get paid big but it pays the bills, gets her food and holding her off until she lands it big at the Chicago Tribune as a journalist, she walked into the studio where everyone was waiting for her.

"Late again, Smith." Joseph, the head broadcaster said. Jamie didn't like him, he was full of himself, always thought he was better than everyone else.

"I know," she replied setting her purse on the table near the door. "i was up all night from my neighbor's dog."

"Save it for the boss." He told her.

"Save what for the boss?" A woman, in her mid 40's, tan, beach blonde hair in a high bun and wearing a red mini dress.

"I was late again, Janice." Jamie stated lowly, feeling embarrassed, sad.