Chapter Seven: Mine

"Okay, adjust your mirrors, hands at ten and two then slowly lift your foot off the brake pedal and onto the gas pedal, pressing onto it gently." Eddie instructed me as I tightly gripped the steering wheel of his car, he was helping me practice for my practice drive with Claire during our lunch break from work. I stared at the empty parking lot, taking in the wide open space out in front of me.

"Alright, how am I doin'?" I grinned proudly.

"Great, you're doing great. Just uhh, you need to get your foot off the brake if you want the car to move."

I wasn't going to take my foot off the brake, nope.

"But what if I crash into the light pole over there?" I pointed out.

"Jamie, that light pole is fifty feet away from us. I highly doubt that you're going to crash into it." Eddie sighed, I could tell he was starting to get annoyed.

Come on Jamie, you can do it. Stop being such a baby.

I nodded, exhaling from my mouth as I put the car into drive and slowly lifted my foot off the brake pedal. Soon the car was slowly rolling.

"H-Hey! I'm doing it!" I exclaimed.

"Try pressing the gas, you'll go faster."

"You don't have to be so sarcastic." I rolled my eyes at Eddie's last comment.

After thirty minutes of driving around the empty lot, Eddie and I sat on the hood of his car, a burrito from chipotle in my hand and Eddie eating a salad from McDonald's.

"Do you want some of my burrito?" I ask, my mouth full of food.

Eddie gave me a disgusted look and shook his head with a small laugh.

"I'll pass," he said, sipping his drink. "What time do you have your driving test with Misses Novak?"

I wiped my hands on a napkin, throwing my half uneaten burrito back into it's bag.

"Six, six-thirty. Somethin' like that." I replied as I hopped off the hood.

"And what about Jonathan?" Eddie asked.

It caught me off guard, I raised an eyebrow.

"What about him?"

"Have you talked to him?"

"Not since our date."

Eddie looked at me like I commuted a crime.

"What?" I ask, getting into his car.

"Are you sure he just didn't use you for the time being?" Eddie got into the driver's seat.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

"I'm sure, now get driving before we're late."

What if Eddie is right? What if Jonathan was just killing time with you? Oh boy...

I jiggled the door handle and shoved the door open to my apartment, I shuffle through the envelopes I got from the mailbox. Bills, bills, bills. I shut the door behind me, and walked over to the couch plopping down with a sigh.

"Ah, yes, my baby." I grabbed my phone off the coffee table, I forgot it at home and felt completely lost without it. I scrolled through the many notifications I had.

"Twitter, twitter, twitter, Instagram, Facebook...text message?"

Captain Toews: hiya.

Three hours ago?