Part 9-The Battle

The battlefield was a scene of devastation. Hundreds lay dead or dying. Somdutt himself had sustained a wound on his shoulder. At the moment it was bleeding profusely. He needed attention urgently but had no recourse but to continue fighting the enemy. He spurred his horse, and, with his other hand, he swung his sword, dealing a blow to a soldier. The man sank to the ground with a death howl. Somdutt grunted with pain, and a wave of dizziness assailed him.

His commander-in-chief, Sumer Singh, saw him, his experienced gaze realizing immediately what was wrong. He made his way through the warring troops, stopping alongside his king.

"My Lord, you need to see a doctor," he shouted above the din.

"I can't leave, Sumer. That will dishearten my army," Somdutt spoke through the haze of pain.

"I suggest that we wave the white flag of truce, Your Majesty. The battle can be fought another day when you are rested," he insisted, beckoning the flag bearer.

Somdutt nodded, unwilling to retreat, but having no other option. If he fell in the field, his army wouldn't take a moment to surrender. It was imperative that the war be stopped for the day.

The flag bearer came running, carrying the flag of Reshamgarh.

"Wave the white flag, man. Be quick," Sumer Singh barked out the order, getting agitated. Under no circumstances should the king fall down on the battlefield.

The white flag was taken out, mounted on a pole, and waved for all to see. The battle came to an abrupt stop for the day, with the blowing of trumpets.

Later, Somdutt lay on his bed in the bedchamber at Reshamgarh. The medicine man had been called to see to his wound. Maids stood, bearing clean sheets and pots of hot water. Somdutt grimaced as the doctor cleaned and bound his shoulder after applying an unguent.

"Father! What happened to you?" cried a little girl, running to his bedside.

The girl, about eight years of age, was as beautiful as the first buds of spring. She was dressed in bright clothes, with her long hair in a plait and adorned with flowers.

Somdutt took her little hand in his, squeezing in comfort, while he tried to smile through the burning sensation caused by the paste applied by the doctor.

"It's nothing, my heart. See, I can sit up," he said, struggling to sit on his bed.

A servant ran to place a couple of pillows behind him for support and he reclined against them, letting out his breath in a whoosh.

The girl wiped a tear from her doe-like eyes, then looked up at her father, asking innocently, "Is it true that the prince of Jaigarh is a monster who eats little children?"

Somdutt tried to hide a smile.

"Who told you that?" he asked.

"Lalita said so." Lalita was her companion, a year older and quite precocious.

"Well, you need not fear him, Priyadarshini. He can never harm you. I shall make sure of that," Somdutt promised solemnly.

The girl placed a kiss on his cheek, then ran away to play with her friends.

Somdutt watched her go, his heart melting with love for his only daughter. He had wanted sons to carry on the bloodline after him, but his queen had been indisposed these last few years, and unable to bear any more children. His courtiers had advised him to marry again, but he had refused. He loved his wife who had given him a beautiful daughter. He had decided to bring her up like a boy. She had learned to ride a horse and he was teaching her swordplay. Of course, she used a wooden sword, more suited to her tender years, but he was sure that she would, one day, rule Reshamgarh with an iron fist.

At that moment, Sumer Singh walked into the king's bedchamber.

"What brings you here at this hour, Sumer? You should rest for tomorrow's battle," said Somdutt, frowning.

"There will be no battle on the morrow, my lord. You are in no condition to go on the battlefield."

"What do you propose then?" asked Somdutt in alarm. They could not think of surrendering to Jaigarh.

"Do not worry, my lord," replied the younger man. "I have sent a messenger to invite King Yashvardhan for peace talks."

"Do you think that he will accept our invitation?"

"He should. I have information through my secret sources that their army is unhappy with the frequent wars. Many have lost their dear ones, or become maimed. They want peace at any cost."

"Then what is stopping them?"

Sumer laughed and rolled his eyes.

"The impatience and rashness of youth, my lord. Prince Harshvardhan is rumored to be ill-tempered and bloodthirsty. Combine it with the hot-bloodedness of youth and you have a recipe for disaster. He won't stop till he has reduced both the kingdoms to rubble. It is for us to make a move to restore peace in the territory, or we shall all fall prey to foreign invaders."

Somdutt nodded in agreement. He too wanted peace at any cost. The old king, Yashvardhan's father, had been fond of war too until Somdutt had given him a crushing defeat. Prince Harshvardhan reminded him of the old king. Pray to God, that he would listen to reason.

Harshvardhan picked up the wine cup and took a long swig. His friend, Prithviraj, was nursing a wound on his arm. Prithviraj had sustained the blow while fighting Sumer Singh, the commander-in-chief of Reshamgarh. Of course, he was but a lad, while Sumer was an experienced youth. Still, they had given as good as they received, till he had struck Somdutt on the shoulder. See, how the coward had waved the white flag then. He would not rest till Reshamgarh surrendered.

"What are you going to do now? There won't be any battle on the morrow," remarked Prithviraj.

"Why?" asked Harshvardhan, glaring. He was raring to go. This time he would behead Somdutt, he decided.

"Reshamgarh has sent a messenger with an invitation for peace talks, and your father is considering the proposal."

Harshvardhan broke out into laughter.

"So, they are already tired of the war? Good. Let them have their peace talks. We'll conduct raids into their territory. Let us burn their crops and destroy the villages."

"Hmm..." Prithviraj considered the prospect. "Rest now, my friend," he suggested.

"I will," Harshvardhan said. "But before that, I have someone I wish to meet."