Part 18-A Twin

The celebrations at the palace were just three days away. A frenzy of activity was going on at the mansion. Lakshmi and Valli were trying their best to master the steps. Menaka hardly had the time to eat or sleep, being busy in the rehearsals, but she wasn't happy with the results.

"That's not the way to turn on your heels, Lakshmi. Have some grace in your movements," Menaka chided for the umpteenth time. The girl just did not have what it took to be a good dancer. She seemed to have two left feet.

Lakshmi made a face, then started again. She had never considered the hard work that went into being the chief courtesan. In fact, being a good courtesan required hours of backbreaking work. It wasn't in her nature to exert herself so much. She was a bit delicate and this daily exercise was almost making her swoon.

She tried to follow her mother's movements, swaying and whirling, holding the long skirts, her face a study in concentration.

"Aah....." Lakshmi cried out as she slipped on the marble floor and fell into a heap.

The practice session came to an abrupt end. Menaka and Valli rushed to see what the matter was. Lakshmi grimaced with pain. Menaka felt her leg that was bent at an awkward angle. Lakshmi groaned at the least touch.

"Hell! She seems to have sprained her ankle," Menaka said to no one in particular, her face marred by a frown.

Ill luck seemed to be following them with a vengeance. First, Neelu and now her daughter. The girl's ankle had swelled. The maids helped her to stand.

"Take her to her room," she said with a sigh. "I'll bring a poultice."

"Shall I continue, my lady?" asked Valli, trying to suppress hysterical laughter. Was she going to be the only one dancing before the king? That seemed pretty likely now.

Menaka just gave her a glaring look before leaving the room.

"And then Lakshmi slipped like this and fell....." Valli later recounted to Neelanjana, who was listening in wide-eyed disbelief.

"How unfortunate!" Neelanjana exclaimed slapping a hand on her mouth.

"Yes, it is. Menaka is out of her mind with worry. Now, the only way left for her is to plead with Madhulika to take Lakshmi's place," mused Valli, her manner conspiratorial.

"Will she agree?"

"It's hard to say. She wasn't happy at Menaka's decision to present her daughter instead of her. Madhulika is jealous of everyone who stands in her way."

"Hmm....." Neelanjana nodded in agreement. That woman would stop at nothing, and the gods seemed to be favoring her. Poor Lakshmi, now laid down with a sprained foot. Madhulika would make it difficult for Menaka, she was sure of that. It just wasn't fair to the older woman. She had always cared for Madhulika, but it was most natural to have some ambition for her own daughter.

With her decision made up, Neelanjana rose from her bed.

"Where are you going?" asked Valli in alarm.

"To help Menaka," she replied in a firm voice.

"But you're still weak," protested her friend, a hand on her arm to stop her.

"I'll live," Neelanjana smiled, making her way slowly out of the room.

The man on the horse made his way through the streets of the city. Wherever he went, he found the subjects discussing the truce that King Yashvardhan had declared with Reshamgarh. People were praising the king for his bold step in stopping the war. Enmity with Reshamgarh had existed for since long, since the times of his father, or even before. This was the first time that a formal truce had been declared, giving both kingdoms a chance to recover from the vagaries of war.

He stopped at a few places to talk to the people. Wherever he went, men bowed to him in respect, offering him a seat, and sitting at his feet. He liked this show of power, but that wasn't enough. He glanced at his reflection in the pool outside his quarters, as he returned. A handsome face, if he said so himself. A high forehead, a regal nose, sharp eyes, and a smart mustache. He was tall and well-built, just like his brother. The only difference was that his brother was the king, while he was a mere minister.

Prince Rajyavardhan let out a sigh of dissatisfaction. He was Yashvardhan's twin brother, admittedly, a few minutes younger. Those few minutes had cost him the throne. He cursed his cruel fate. But there was nothing he could do, except dream that one day he would rule over Jaigarh.

His rooms were at the back of the palace, a little away from his brother's. Still, the interior was as luxuriously decorated as the king's. He sat on the gilded bed and clapped for the servants, who appeared like magic and offered him his favorite glass of wine.

Sipping the ruby liquid, his thoughts whirred round his head. He should speak to his brother. Yashvardhan was a good man, but would he agree to divide the kingdom between the two of them? Maybe, maybe not. What harm was there in trying?

With another sigh, he got up, pacing the floor in agitation. He needed a distraction or he would go out of his mind. What he needed at the moment was a woman to ease the pain in his loins. It had been too long. He should ask Menaka to send a girl. Wait, there was someone he found interesting. What was her name? He scratched his beard to recall the woman whose sensuous gaze had seduced his heart.

Oh, yes. Madhulika. Yes, that was her name. He would send for her. He needed her warm arms around him tonight.

"What did you say? Prince Rajyavardhan has asked for me?" Madhulika asked the maid who bore the news.

"Yes, milady. A palanquin is waiting for you out on the steps."

"Tell them I'll be there," she said, rifling through her dresses, deciding which one to wear for the rendezvous.

Half an hour later, Madhulika sat in the palanquin, as the bearers gently carried her toward the palace. She was dressed in almost diaphanous robes, her face covered with a see-through veil. The effect was seductive and titillating. Her anklets rang out with the least movement. She was at her best, for she wished to impress the prince, the king's twin. He was known to be generous with his purse. He was a known spendthrift, fond of all kinds of revelry and merrymaking. Not only was he handsome, but he was power-hungry too. She had heard the palace gossip and knew that Prince Rajyavardhan was ambitious. Just like her, she smiled to herself. Maybe, they could both find each other of some help. Time would tell, she mused, but what harm was there in trying?