Part 22-An Escapade

The palanquin was at the door. Valli was dressed in fine robes, a flared skirt with beaded embroidery, and a matching bustier that exposed her smooth dusky back to advantage. The colors were the red of the desert at sunset and the ocher of the dried earth. A veil of the finest gossamer covered her heavily made-up face. She had used kohl and henna to adorn her skin and the juice of wild berries to dye her lips. Ornaments of gold glittered on her body. That evening, Valli appeared as exquisite as a goddess come down to earth.

"Make haste, girl. The sreshthi will not wait forever," Menaka chided her, as she descended the stairs sedately.

Menaka clutched the fat pouch of gold coins the old merchant had sent her. Her conscience had tried to stop her, but she had failed to hear its voice above the din of gold. After all, it wasn't every day that one got such an offer. She wasn't getting any younger and had to think of her old age. As it was, Lakshmi was not cut out to be a courtesan. The girl had neither a sense of rhythm nor the grace to be a dancer. With her thin and flat-chested body, she could hardly compete with the likes of Neelu or Valli who were voluptuous beauties.

With a sigh, Menaka decided that it was the right thing to send the girl to be a bed slave. Maybe, that was her destiny.

Valli stopped at the doorway and looked back at her friends. They stood with tears in their eyes, and sorrow in their hearts. Parting from a loved one was always difficult. Valli had been so well-loved for her gentle and helpful nature.

She ran back to hug them, her arms around their necks. A sob broke out from Neelanjana's lips. What would she do without her vivacious company?

Lakshmi wiped her nose, her eyes red from weeping. It pained her that she could not stop her mother from carrying out this diabolical deal. What would happen now to poor Valli?

"She is not going to the hangman's noose. Rather, she shall be the darling of a rich man," Madhulika taunted the girls.

"Oh yes, a man old enough to be her grandfather," retorted Neelanjana. "Only someone like you could think of that as bountiful fate."

Madhulika made a face at her words and flounced off.

The palanquin had been decorated with garlands of marigolds and jasmines. The bearers were getting impatient. It was almost time now.

At last, Valli made her way down the front stairs. The little party followed behind her with a heavy heart. The curtain was parted and Valli took her seat inside. The bearers, four strong, well-muscled men, with festive clothing and colorful headdresses, bent and picked up the palanquin with a whoosh.

One of them broke out into a song about a bride leaving her father's home. Their steps fell in unison, and the palanquin swayed with every step. No one looking at it could have guessed at the real purpose behind it.

Menaka heaved a sigh of relief. The deed was done at last. She could now rest easy.

"Let us celebrate the deed, girls. Valli has gone to a good man. He has a fleet of ships. She'll be happy with him," Menaka said, calling for a feast that night.

"Why didn't you send me instead, Mother, if he is such a good man? Why send poor Valli?" Lakshmi questioned, hands on her hips.

"Don't be insolent. He had asked for her especially."

Lakshmi snorted in disgust. She hated these men who thought of them no better than a piece of meat to be feasted upon.

"A palanquin is at the door, milady," a guard came running at that moment to inform Menaka.

"A palanquin? Why? Has Valli come back?" Menaka asked, puzzled. She had hardly departed an hour ago. How dare the girl come back?

They rushed outside, Menaka, with Neelanjana and Lakshmi following in her wake. Indeed, a palanquin stood outside, as decorated as the first one, but with no Valli inside it.

"What's the matter? Why are you here?" she asked, nonplussed.

One of the bearers came forward, a short, stout man.

"The sreshthi has sent us to fetch the girl," he replied, indicating the empty conveyance.

"How can that be? His men had come an hour ago and the girl has gone with them," Menaka asked, frowning. What was this whole confusing business?

Neelanjana and Lakshmi hid their smiles with difficulty, eyeing each other conspiratorially.

The sun had set and dusk had fallen, with the first stars peeking out for the night. Outside the city gates, one could hear the melodious song of the palanquin bearers echoing in the serene silence.

"Stop," one of the bearers called out to his companions. The men came to an abrupt halt and the palanquin was lowered gently to the ground.

They were under an old banyan tree in a desolate stretch of road. Not a soul was in sight, not even the cowherds who returned with their cows at twilight.

"You can come out now, my dear," said Dhruva, raising the curtain and looking at the girl inside.

Valli stepped out and fell straight into the arms of her beloved. Dhruva clasped her to his chest, savoring the closeness for a moment, then put her away with great reluctance.

"We have very little time on our hands, my love. We'll have to make haste," he said, indicating the horse that was tied to the tree.

"....and your friends?" she asked.

"Oh, they'll return to the barracks and none would be the wiser. Do not worry, I would trust them with my life. It is a pact among warriors that cannot be broken."

Valli nodded. She needed no more prodding to follow Dhruva to his horse. She was seated on the bay mare, and Dhruva climbed up after her. Within moments, they bid goodbye to the others, and were on their way, away from the city.

"Where are we going?" she asked, curious to know what he had planned.

"As far away from the city as we can get tonight, without straying into the territory of Dasyus. The land that lay ahead, was notorious for a band of robbers. None could get out of there alive.

As a plan it was brilliant. Valli thanked Neelanjana in her heart for hatching this mad escapade. Dhruva had hired a palanquin and dressed as a bearer, along with three of his soldier friends. Menaka had not even guessed that they weren't the men sent by the old merchant.

Valli looked at the gold and precious stones adorning her. Neelanjana had given away every last one of the gifts that the prince had showered on her within the last one year. Of course, they would have need of them. They planned to leave Jaigarh and start a life in some other kingdom. But would they succeed? That was the biggest question plaguing Valli at the moment.