Part 36-On The Mossy Bank

Neelanjana tried to ignore the loud drumming of her heart and inhaled deeply to steady herself. She had to keep a clear head if she wished to save Hassan. These royals were unpredictable. It would need just the tiniest thing to enrage them. She had no wish to see the man she cared about spending the rest of his days in the dungeon.

"I....I....had met him in the bazaar, my lord. I helped him in finding a place for the night. He is god-fearing and honest. I can vouch for that," she replied to Harshvardhan's question, praying that he would believe her.

Harshvardhan digested that information. So, they had never been lovers and Neelanjana wasn't recalling his lovemaking. He hated the idea of any other man laying claims to what was his. He gave another glance at the stranger. He was still waiting for him to decide his fate.

"Foreigner," Harshvardhan addressed him. "You should be grateful that the lady vouches for you, or you would have spent the rest of your life in the dungeons. You may go now, but do not let this happen again," he warned in a stern voice.

Hassan's gaze traveled to the woman who was now standing beside the Prince, her face pale, and her gaze apprehensive. Did she really care what happened to him? His heart said that she did, or why would she have spoken up on his behalf?

Well, now wasn't the time to ponder on it. He shouldn't stay here a moment longer. It was prudent to leave before the prince changed his mind. With that, he bowed, thanked the prince, and left without a backward glance.

Once outside, he hurried his steps, leaving the palace grounds and finding a shady tree to rest beneath. The whole day had been wasted. His deal was spoiled, and he would have to make a new one. Hassan doubted the wisdom of spending any more time in Jaigarh. If all merchants were like that pugnacious shopkeeper, it would be impossible to trade here. He had better leave Jaigarh and take his business elsewhere.

Back in the palace, Neelanjana watched Hassan leave, with a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. She was sure that he would not stay a moment longer in Jaigarh where he had been humiliated so much. She knew how self-respecting he was. It was unlikely that he would ever return to this kingdom. If she wished to meet him, she would have to do it now.

With that thought in mind, she took her leave of the prince and walked out of the palace. If she was lucky, he would still be outside the palace gates.

She spied him sitting under an old banyan tree. Neelanjana sent a small prayer of thanks heavenwards. Approaching him, she stalled for a second, drinking in the sight of him. His dark head, with that luxuriant springy hair, his broad shoulders, the clothes that hinted at the steely muscles beneath, and of course, his beloved face, with the kind, honest eyes, and the broad mouth that hinted at a happy nature.

Slowly, she walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He was startled for a moment, but his face lit up when he saw her.

Hassan had not expected her to follow him so soon. He had waited on the chance that she might come out of the gates sometime. He couldn't leave without thanking her properly. Now, here she was, standing beside him, ethereal in her beauty. He realized that this beauty wasn't just of the body, but of the soul too. Few would have risked the prince's displeasure to save a foreigner like she did. This woman was one in a million, he decided.

"How can I thank you enough, my lady?" he stated. "You saved my life in there," he pointed to the high walls of the royal palace. "But for you, I would have been sent to the prison."

"You can thank me by spending some time with me, Hassan. Will you?" she asked, eager to speak to him in a place away from prying eyes.

He thought for a moment, then nodded, getting up to walk beside her. She led him around the palace walls, to the back of the building. They walked quite a distance before they reached a secluded spot. It was a shady place on the banks of a brook. It meandered through the woods, its tinkling sound soothing to the ears. Verdant moss covered the banks like a velvet carpet. They made their way right up to the brook, sitting under a tree near it.

Hassan breathed in the scents of the forest, the tightness in his chest disappearing in the sylvan setting. Still, he looked behind his back. They were too near the palace walls for his comfort and he said so.

Neelanjana placed a gentle hand on his arm.

"No one will think of looking for us here. It's a place only a few know of. Long ago, the prince brought me here. Since then, I have come here whenever I needed to get away from people."

"Oh," Hassan mumbled, wondering if she was remembering the time spent with the prince here.

"Were you able to complete the deal, or was it spoiled?" she asked when the silence stretched between them.

"No, I could not complete my business. I don't trust the shopkeepers here any longer. I have decided to leave for the neighboring kingdom and try my luck there."

His words were enough to cause a sense of panic in her. He would leave the next morning and she would never see him again. The thought was unacceptable. How could she lose him when she had just found him?

The hand on his arm tightened, though she did not realize it. She looked up at him with her heart in her eyes, raising her face to his in an invitation.

He hesitated to accept that invitation, but the lure of her sweet lips was too much. Hassan capitulated, gathering her in his arms and lowering his mouth to hers. She welcomed him, giving him access to explore the nectar within.

Hassan sighed in pleasure as their tongues met in a playful duel, her taste driving him mad with wanting.

Neelanjana clutched at his back, her fingers finding his nape and playing with his overlong hair. Still not satisfied, she pulled him to lie on the mossy bank, feeling his weight pressing her down. It was comforting, unlike what she had felt with other men. His presence did not threaten her, nor repulsed. In fact, she craved a closeness like no other. She yearned for a union, to be one with him in the most primal way possible.

Hassan inhaled her fragrance, a mix of tropical flowers and the heady woman scent of her. His control was fast leaving him. In wouldn't take long for him to take her here, under the dappled shade of the trees, in the lap of Nature, like the first man and woman in the Garden of Eden.

But he wasn't. The thought jolted him out of the haze of desire. He wasn't the first man to engage in such a love play with her. He was just one of many. She would sleep with him and then forget him like she had her previous lovers. He did not want that. No, he certainly did not wish to be a conquest for her. He would never be satisfied with making love to her exquisite body. He wanted to possess all of her, and then never let go. He wanted the happily ever after, he realized. But would she accept such an offer? Would she be satisfied to be just his wife? He thought not.

Gently, he pushed her away. She protested, but he pretended to ignore her, though his heart cried out for what he was denying himself and her.

"I have to leave, my lady," he spoke stiffly, brushing at his robes, and extending a hand for her to get up.

They returned in silence, till it was time to part. He took her hand and placed a light kiss on it, then left without a backward glance.

Neelanjana watched him go, her heart breaking into a thousand pieces again. Was this the end of the road for them?