Part 24-The Trial

"Unhand me!" Dhruva shouted. "I'm a soldier of His Majesty's army."

Two men were holding onto him, while another was dragging Valli to a horse. A wail of helplessness escaped from her lips. In the blink of an eye, her world had come crashing down around her. She had been so excited at having dodged her cruel fate, but here she was, in their clutches again. A malicious hand must have written her destiny.

"We know who you are. We have orders to bring you back to Jaigarh," replied the leader of the guards.

Dhruva knew when he was defeated. These men had ridden like the wind, following their trail, to catch up with them. Of course, they had been two on a horse, Valli and he. What would happen now? Surely, he would be executed and his beloved, Valli, handed over to the lecherous old merchant. He had no regrets though. He had tried his best to save her. He did not mind dying for the cause. After all, valor was the hallmark of a soldier.

"What did you say?" Neelanjana asked the maid in horror. She had just woken up when the maid had barged in, panting for breath and full of the scandalous news.

"The guards have caught Valli eloping with her lover. They are bringing her back to Jaigarh," she repeated slowly this time as if speaking to a dimwit.

"Oh Lord," Neelanjana sat down on the bed again. She had been afraid of just this contingency. What would happen now, she wondered. Anyway, whatever the case, she would try her best to save her friend, she decided.

Downstairs, she found Menaka and Madhulika discussing the audacity of the girl in planning such a daring deed.

"What did she think, that she would fool us, and escape with her lover?" commented Madhulika, her eyes questioning the extreme foolishness of such a premise.

Neelanjana felt rage course through her veins.

"What else could she do, Madhulika? There is no appealing to your better sense."

"Don't say that, Neelu. A courtesan's life isn't her own. She has no right to love any one man, for she belongs to all," retorted Menaka, a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"But right or wrong, Valli does love Dhruva, and deserves a life with him," Neelanjana drove the point home.

"So, did I, Neelu. I, too, loved Lakshmi's father, the rich trader, but my mentor stopped me from leaving with him, though I was with child. We all have to accept our fate at some point in time."

Neelanjana felt sorry for the older woman, but could not bring herself to agree with her. Why should Valli tamely accept her fate?

The palace loomed ahead of them. Dhruva saw with a heart pounding with dread. Were they going to be tried here? No trial would be fair if it were based on emotions. He knew that they had broken the law, but would the king hear their side of the story? Would he care for their love? Dhruva had doubts about that. The noose would, in all probability, be his fate.

A sobbing Valli and a defiant Dhruva stood before the throne. The king was there, as was the prince. Menaka and Madhulika stood beside them, as did the old merchant who had made the complaint.

"Your Majesty, this young rascal made away with my bed slave," the old man started in a nasal voice, pointing an accusing finger at Dhruva. "I have paid good coin for her. She should be handed over to me without delay."

Dhruva cast a jaundiced glance at the old crook. His bald head, and thin body, with loose skin hanging at his neck, repelled him. His eyes were sunken and yellow, his teeth rotten from too many sweetmeats. The thought of Valli lying under him and being taken by him was enough to wish him that he had his sword. He would have struck the man dead and ended her suffering.

"Is he telling the truth, Menaka?" the king asked, frowning. It was a matter of grave concern. A man had absolute rights over his slave.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I have the money here," she showed the pouch filled with gold coins.

The king turned to Dhruva. The young man stood with his head held high, and no remorse on his face.

"What do you have to say, young soldier?"

"We love each other, Your Majesty," Dhruva answered, refusing to plead for mercy.

"Hmm....." King Yashvardhan scratched his beard. He could sympathize with the young man, but a law had been broken and the culprit needed to be punished.

"The girl will have to be returned to her master...." the king started when shockingly, he was interrupted by a voice.

"No....." Neelanjana spoke out, coming forward from the crowd that had gathered to watch the whole business with curiosity.

A deadly silence fell over the gathering, and every eye turned her way. Was she mad to interrupt the king? She could be beheaded for it.

She fell to her knees in front of the throne, folding her hands in supplication.

"Neelanjana....." Prince Harshvardhan exclaimed. What was she doing here?

"I beg Your Majesty to rethink your decision. My friend Valli loves Dhruva, and they would die if forced to live apart," she cried.

"Get up, young woman," the king spoke firmly. "I understand your feelings but the old man has paid good money, and cannot be robbed of his rights."

"He can have any woman. I'm ready to take Valli's place in his bed, but let the poor girl go," Neelanjana begged, tears falling from her eyes.

Harshvardhan could take no more. He rose and came to stand by her side. His arm went around her shoulder, and his hand wiped her tears.

"Father, though, I have never loved any woman, nor would I ever do so, but I think we should listen to Neelanjana. I have seen how miserable she had been when I bought her from the tavern keeper. I do not wish this woman to be as miserable," he said, pointing to Valli, who stood stunned, with her mouth open.

The king nodded, then shook his head again.

"What about this old man here?"

"I'll pay him double the money he has given for the girl," offered Harshvardhan. He knew that the old man wouldn't dare refuse such an offer.

The king turned to the gathering, raising his hand to silence the murmur that rose among the crowd.

"You heard your prince. Well, the two young lovers are pardoned, but they should leave the kingdom immediately. The old man can collect his money anytime. The matter is closed."

The crowd broke out in cheers. Neelanjana turned within the circle of Harshvardhan's arms to see Dhruva and Valli embracing. Tears flowed down their cheeks. They did not mind the exile. It was enough that they were together.

"Come," Dhruva said to his beloved. She stopped him with a hand on his arm.

"Wait. First, we have to thank someone...." she said.