Part 38-An Unexpected Proposal

"Neelu....." he whispered, then corrected himself. "My lady," he called out, his heart singing with joy at this unexpected encounter. He held out his arms.

"Hassan...." Neelanjana felt drawn to him of her own volition. She stepped down the stairs and walked straight into his arms. They tightened around her, two burly, muscular bands, as Hassan drew her against his chest.

She raised her face to his, her eyes drinking in the sight of him. His lips broke out into a smile, a twinkle in his eyes.

By an unspoken agreement, they made their way toward the camp. Hassan led her to a large tent, lifted the flap, and ushered her inside.

Neelanjana stared at her surroundings in pleasant surprise. The tent was not only large, but also luxuriously furnished with a soft Persian carpet, mattresses, and cushions. Lamps hung from the poles and a pitcher of water stood to one side. On one side lay an intricately carved sword in a jeweled scabbard. The hilt was golden with inscriptions etched on it.

Neelanjana was taken aback. She had not expected the gentle merchant to possess something like that. She looked at him questioningly.

Hassan laughed aloud at the gobsmacked expression on her face. He drew her down on the cushions and then sat beside her.

"What did you think, dear? My ancestors were from a warlike tribe of the Steppes of Central Asia. The blood of warriors flows in my veins."

She hesitated a moment. "Do you....do you...use it often?"

Hassan picked up the sword and ran a finger lovingly over its sharp edge.

"I learned to wield it when I was but a lad. My father taught me the intricacies of swordplay. I only keep it to protect myself on these excursions. As you know, there are brigands and wild animals often on the way."

Neelanjana nodded. She knew the dangers of travel. Her father had often told her stories about his trips to different lands. She had listened wide-eyed as he recounted encounters with tigers, elephants, and even dragons, though now she knew that he had made up some of the stories to entertain her.

Now, she looked at Hassan with new eyes, quickly revising her opinion of him. He was as brave and adept in swordplay as Harshvardhan. The only difference was that he used it sparingly to defend himself. Anyone looking at his gentle demeanor would never guess at his prowess. There lay his charm, she mused, loving his softer nature more than the blatant display of masculinity by the other men she had known.

"Enough of swords and warriors," he said, smiling. "How're you, beautiful one? I could not leave without meeting you one last time. So, decided to take the longer route through Jaigarh."

"I missed you too, Hassan. I was wondering if we would ever meet again. This meeting is like a godsend."

"I know. It's like an answer to all my prayers," he muttered, placing her head against his chest.

She turned to him then, her arms going around his neck to pull his head down. With an oath, Hassan capitulated, placing his lips on hers.

The kiss went on and on, as if for eons. It was at once heated, urgent as well as intimate. Neelanjana felt its magical effect, like a bolt of lightning through her. What was it that made it so special? Was it the depth of their attraction for each other or was it love?

Had she but known at that moment, it was not only for those reasons but also the fact that Fate had entwined their destinies in such a way that they were bound together for eternity.

She failed to notice when they lay on the carpet, his body pressing down on hers. The kiss had deepened, while she had sunk her fingers in his luxurious mane. His hands roamed her body, pushing aside her clothes. With a moan of need, she brought her hands against his chest, feeling the rippling muscles below her palms. He drew her hand and placed it against his heart. She could feel the drumming beat and it made her toes curl with tenderness and desire.

Neelanjana was lost in the world of sensations assailing her senses, uncaring of her surroundings or the time, her body crying out for fulfillment when she was jolted back to reality by Hassan's withdrawal.

Hassan pushed her away with a gentle hand, then tied the silken thread of his robe. She lay there disheveled, looking at him, her gaze full of hurt. Why did he stop? What had she done wrong? Did he not want her enough to consummate their love? Did he even love her? The questions drummed inside her brain.

"Why?" she could only utter that one word before her eyes swam with tears.

Hassan's hands went out to frame her face with all the love that was within him.

"I love you, Neelu, but taking you once won't be enough. I can't bear it if I end up as one of your men, lain with, and then forgotten. I want you with me forever, as my wife. Are you willing to marry me?"

Neelanjana was stunned. She had not expected such a heartfelt avowal of love from him, nor the proposal.

"I....I...." she stammered. "Do you really love me?"

"What do you think, my darling? I love you more than I expected to love a woman. I never thought that I would ever love again after the death of my wife, but the impossible happened and I fell in love with you."

Her lips spread in a smile of happiness as joy filled her heart. His words were like a warm rain that washed away years of misery.

"If you care even a little for me, you will accompany me to my home, and be my wife."

Neelanjana's euphoria vanished in the blink of an eye.

"It's not as easy as you think. It's a big decision for me to leave everything that I have worked for, the only home I have known, and go with you to an unknown land among strangers. Also, you forget that I belong to Prince Harshvardhan. He would never allow me to leave, and any man who aspires to marry me is in danger of losing his life."

"I'm not afraid of him. Listen well, Neelu. I shall return within the year for more spices. I give you till then to make up your mind."

"What if....what if....I'm not ready?"

"You will never see me again...."

With that, he rose up and held out his hand to her. They walked out to the palanquin and he saw her into it with a last quick kiss on her forehead.

As the palanquin carried her away from him, Neelanjana mulled over the events of the last hour. What he had said, made sense, but dare she take him up on his offer. What if she lost this world that she had built for herself? And what of the wrath of the cruel prince? Moisture gathered into her eyes and she put her head on her knees and broke into a sob.