Part 41- The Duel

Hassan spurred his horse with renewed energy and enthusiasm. He was nearing the kingdom of Jaigarh. In no time he expected to reach the city gates. It was but a matter of a day or two. His journey so far had been uneventful except for an encounter with a herd of wild boars. Most of the time he had been lost in the thoughts of the woman whom he was going to meet. Her spectacular eyes occupied his thoughts and her evocative perfume tickled his nostrils in his imagination. He was growing impatient to see her and get an answer from her. Would she accept his proposal? The thought caused his heart to race as fast as his galloping horse.

Prithviraj caught Neelanjana's wrist and gave it a twist. He had been burning with a desire for her for years but never had a chance to sleep with her. After all, he couldn't afford to displease the prince. Harshvardhan would have his head if he had an inkling of it. But now it seemed that the object of his desire had come to him to seek a favor. It was all the chance he needed.

"Why should I help you against my dear friend? Give me one good reason," he argued, passing her a taunting smile.

This seductress had always kept him at arm's length. She had never even looked at him with interest. He would help her only on the condition that she let him share her bed.

"I guess it is futile to appeal to your better nature?" she said, a hint of contempt in her tone.

Neelanjana wondered if she was a fool to expect this man to help her escape, but the fact was that he was the only one who could help her. Harshvardhan would never punish his childhood friend. Any other man was sure to be hanged for helping her.

"I never professed to have one," Prithviraj retorted, drawing her against his chest and nuzzling her ear.

"What do you want?" she asked, a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She knew very well what he wanted. All the men, with the exception of Hassan, had wanted it from her. The problem was that just the thought of making love with him brought the bile to her throat. Even thinking about the act was detestable. It was a bitter fact that women like her were considered no more than a body. No one cared about her feelings, certainly not this man who stared at her with naked lust.

"You know what I want, my beauty," he replied, sitting down on the bench in her inner courtyard and pulling her into his arms.

His lips sought hers, and she shivered in disgust.

"What the hell is happening here?" The roar rang out, making Prithviraj jump to his feet, stumble, and fall flat on the tiled courtyard.

Neelanjana couldn't help the hysterical laughter bubbling up to her lips. Prithviraj was groaning, rubbing his knee where it had struck the hard floor, while Hassan stood with a scowl on his face, his eyes accusing her. Did he think she was encouraging that buffoon?

"Who is he?" Prithviraj limped to his feet.

"Who is he?" Hassan roared again like an angry tiger.

The men spoke at the same time, and Neelanjana felt the urge to laugh again hysterically.

She stood up, and then pointed to the limping man.

"He's the worst kind of rascal I have the misfortune of knowing," she addressed Hassan, who scowled at her.

Prithviraj spluttered with indignation, as she ignored him.

"What is he doing here?" Hassan's scowl deepened.

"I was a fool to think that he could help me leave Jaigarh," she replied, lighting a spark of hope in his heart.

"Oh, so he's the reason you wanted to leave Harshvardhan," Prithviraj sneered.

"What if I did? Don't I deserve happiness?" she asked, turning on him in rage.

"Your destiny is to serve the men of Jaigarh, and not go gallivanting with your lover."

Hassan took out his sword in a flash and pointed it at the hateful man. How dare he speak to his beloved Neelu in that condescending manner?

Prithviraj brought out his own sword, waving it in Hassan's face.

Neelanjana looked on in dismay as both men fell on each other. What would happen now, she wondered.

The duel lasted for a good few minutes, as the men exchanged blows, trying to bring down the other.

Prithviraj thrust his sword, missing Hassan by a hair's breadth, who ducked to avoid the blow. Hassan regained his feet and gave a well-aimed thrust. Prithviraj cursed loudly as blood spurted from his arm. He backed down, glaring in hatred.

"You will rue this. I shall be back," his dire promise rang out before he sprinted from the scene.

A hush fell in the courtyard. The servants stood staring in curiosity. It was too good to miss the happenings. It would give them something to gossip about for ages.

Neelanjana seemed to regain her senses. Hassan was standing before her as if she had conjured him with her longing. She ran to him, putting her arms around his waist and hiding her face in his chest. She breathed in his scent, the clean male smell filling her nostrils and igniting a hunger deep down in her womanly parts.

The sword fell from his hand. His arms went around her like steel bands, almost squeezing the breath out of her, as Hassan buried his face in her hair. At last, she was where he had dreamed her to be. In his arms, their bodies touching intimately. His breathing became labored as desire took over.

He raised his head to look into her eyes. She nodded her head mutely. By an unspoken agreement, they made their way to her bedchamber.

Hassan stared in disgust at the murals on the wall as they entered the room, then shook his head, as if to shake off the feeling. It did not matter now. Neelu wouldn't have to live in this hateful place for long.

The bed had been freshly made with silken sheets. Lamps burned in the room throwing shadows in the corner. Fresh flowers were arranged in a pleasing display, their heady scent filling the air.

Neelanjana moaned as he picked her up and deposited her on the bed, then lay down beside her. Their lips met in a heartfelt kiss, at once sweet and exciting.

Hassan's hands busied in discarding her clothes, then his own followed suit, till they lay skin to skin. He pulled back for a moment, admiring her naked beauty. Neelanjana colored, feeling like a shy girl. It felt as if it was her first time with a man. Of course, never before had she been so eager and so in love.

"Is it a yes, my love?" he whispered against her lips, their breaths mingling.

She knew what he meant. She nodded.

"I am yours, Hassan. Forever."

With a groan, he gathered her to him. What would the night bring?