Part 12-A Feast

The house in the mountains was again decorated to the rafters. The mouthwatering aroma of roasting meat filled the air. One could hear the drums playing and the enthusiastic singing of the womenfolk. Inside the house, there was chaotic activity, as Hassan supervised the meal being prepared by the village cook.

"We need more meat, Hassan. The stew will feed at least a hundred people," shouted Ahmad the head cook, over the din.

Hassan nodded, promising to arrange everything according to the chef's liking. One couldn't displease the cook, or one would get burnt loaves of bread.

At that moment, a small boy ran to the backyard where the feast was being prepared.

"Your mother is looking for you," he informed Hassan.

Hassan sighed, running a hand through his curls. His mother wanted him to sit with Salima, but she was surrounded by women. Hassan, a shy young man, felt tongue-tied in their presence. They would mercilessly tease him now that he was soon to be a father.

He and Salima had been married for almost seven months now, and just two days ago she had presented him with the happy news. He had been overjoyed, scarcely believing his good fortune. He had run around the house, sharing his news with everyone. Within no time, his mother, brothers, cousins, as well as the world, and his wife knew that Salima would give birth in a few months' time. Only Salima had been livid.

"Why did you have to announce it from the rooftops?" she chided him. "Don't you know that attracts misfortune and the evil eye?"

"The only eye that sees your face is mine, dearest wife," he joked.

"It is no laughing matter, Hassan. Sometimes you're so dense, I wonder why I married you?" she snapped in irritation.

"Maybe because you love me to distraction?" he asked, drawing her against his chest and placing a kiss on her parted lips.

Salima rolled her eyes in exasperation, but the smile on her lips was a giveaway.

"What do we do now, Hassan?" she said, a pang of uneasiness still assailing her.

Hassan pulled her down on the bed beside him, then lay down with his head in her lap. She idly played with his hair, making it stand in peaks and giving him a rakish look.

"We prepare for a feast. Mother will not take no for an answer. She is really excited. This would be her first grandchild, and she wants to celebrate the happy occasion."

That had been that. No one could reason with Miriam. So, all members of their clan had gathered under his roof.

Inside the big hall, Salima sat decked up in her finery, her face covered with a veil, while the women sang folk songs to the beat of the drum. As soon as he entered the hall, Hassan was pulled into the merry circle, made to sit with his wife, and teased no end.

The feast continued well into the night, with the guests blessing the happy couple on their good fortune. The celebration only came to an end when Salima almost swooned with exhaustion.

Back in Jaigarh, it was quite late when Valli stole into the mansion. The gatekeeper had been fast asleep, snoring blissfully. She had slipped in undetected and was congratulating herself when she walked upon a scene of an angry altercation in the hall.

"I swear that I haven't stolen it...." Neelanjana spoke, almost in tears, as she clutched a silver jewelry box to her chest.

"Don't believe a word she says," screamed Madhulika. "Do you think the prince would give the family heirloom to such riff-raff?"

Menaka looked skeptical. She stared at the valuable ring lying in the box, then let out a suppressed breath.

"Don't worry, dear," she addressed the younger girl. "Tell me the truth," she cajoled.

"Do you expect the truth from her, the one who is no better than a common 'woman of the night'?" taunted Madhulika. "You know, Menaka, what will happen now? The king's men could come here any time to search the house. Our reputation would be in tatters."

Menaka waved a hand to silence her. "Let the girl speak, Madhulika."

Neelanjana looked tearfully at her, her lips trembling.

"The prince gave me this box after....after...we...I...mean, before....sending me back. You can ask him."

Valli's heartbeat increased as she stood holding her breath. Was Neelanjana telling the truth? She knew her friend well. She wasn't the sort to steal or rob things, but then it was unheard of, for a new courtesan to receive such a piece of jewelry. She wasn't an experienced woman like Menaka who was famous for her charms. For her friend's sake, Valli hoped that the girl was speaking the truth.

Menaka nodded. "I believe you, Neelu. Now, go to your room and keep it safe."

Neelanjana turned to go, then stopped as Madhulika snorted angrily.

"From where are you coming at this late hour?" she asked the girl who stood near the door, her voice menacing.

"You had gone to pray at the temple, I believe? What took you so long?" Menaka inquired.

"I....I...returned hours ago. I couldn't sleep and had gone out for a breath of fresh air in the garden. All this commotion drew me here," replied Valli, a hand to her heart.

Thank god that she made up the story on the spot, and had dropped the basket outside. No one should know of her nightly excursions to meet Dhruva at any cost, or she would be in big trouble.

Neelanjana glanced at Valli, her own brow breaking out in a sweat. What a horrible night it was! First, that virago had to accuse her falsely, and now they were after poor Valli.

"Oh, don't mind us. Go to bed," Menaka waved them away, going to sit with a cup of wine to cool herself down.

As she was about to enter her room, Valli stopped her with a hand on her arm. Neelanjana pulled her inside and locked the door.

"Show me what you have in there," Valli said, as curiosity was killing her.

Neelanjana opened the box to reveal the ring, holding it up so that light fell on it and the gem sparkled like a star.

Valli drew in a sharp breath. She had never seen anything like that.

"It's precious. You're lucky. That's your first earning as a courtesan. You must keep it with care."

Neelanjana put the ring back into the box and kept it on her bedside. Valli turned to go, then stopped as she remembered something.

"Dhruva wants to meet you too. We can go tomorrow. Are you up for it?"