Part 40-A Quick Decision

Hassan gazed out of the window, his eyes not taking in the breathtaking view outside but looking inward at his tumultuous thoughts. He recalled the heated argument he had with his mother. She wasn't ready to hear anything about his love for Neelanjana, a woman from another land and culture and one on top who was a courtesan. Miriam wished him to forget her and settle down with a girl of her choice. Could he do that? Never, he decided. How could he forget that enchanting woman who had stolen his heart and soul? He could not contemplate a life without her presence in it. Could he marry another? The very prospect was revolting.

No, he couldn't do as his mother wished. Nor could he wait for a whole year to find out what Neelu's decision would be. He could hardly eat or sleep. The thought that she might reject his proposal kept him on tenterhooks. He had to find a way to meet her before the expiry of the stipulated year. The only solution was to leave for Jaigarh. Once he was face to face with her, he would ask her outright what she wanted. He was sure that he had a fair chance to win her hand. He would fight Prince Harshvardhan in a duel if he had to, but he would not back down from his proposal.

With his mind made up, Hassan jumped to his feet. He had a lot to do before he could leave. There was the business and his family to be taken care of. He had to ready his horse and his camels. The servants and the guards needed to be informed. He hadn't a moment to waste. What if he did not return, the thought sneaked into his mind. Well, he would prefer to die in her arms, then. That was better than living a barren life without her.

"What? You're leaving again?" Miriam was aghast.

"Yes, Mother. I have made up my mind and nothing you say will change it."

"But....but....you are just back...." she stuttered, her heart beating with anxiety. The look on his face told her that she couldn't dissuade him from his decision.

"I know, Mother, but I find that I cannot live without Neelanjana," he replied, impatient to go.

"Think again, Son. You told me that she belongs to another man," Miriam made one last effort.

Hassan ran a caressing hand over the hilt of his sword with a smile.

"Do you doubt my valor?"

Miriam shook her head in mute denial. She knew this son of hers. He could fight a mountain lion with bare hands. He would never back down from a challenge.

He hugged her then, placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Do not worry, Mother. I shall return with a daughter-in-law for you. Prepare for a feast. Send invitations to all the nearby clans."

With that, he mounted his horse, waved at his family, and was on his way. The journey was long and tedious, fraught with danger, but he knew that greater dangers awaited him in Jaigarh.

Neelanjana hid a sob behind her palm, but how could she hide the moisture in her eyes? Soon, the whole world would guess that she was lovesick. It had been so long since Hassan had left her. Her life had turned upside down in the last few months. She was no near to a solution to her predicament. Although Harshvardhan was now besotted with his enemy's daughter, spending long hours in her quarters, yet she doubted that he would be ready to give her up. Neelanjana had tried to test him by seeking a nearness to the prince, but he had been indifferent to her charms. She had breathed a sigh of relief. She had no wish to sleep with Harshvardhan. Her body cried out for one man's possession only, and it wasn't the prince.

She was sprawled on her bed, lost in thoughts, when the maid burst in, agitated and out of breath.

"What's the matter, Sunaina? Have the skies fallen down?" she asked, irritated by the invasion of her solitude.

"In a way, my lady," the maid replied, wiping her brow.

Neelanjana sat up straight, curious to know what had happened.

"Out with it, girl," she chided when the maid remained silent.

"Princess Priyadarshini has been abducted by unknown miscreants. The royal family is out of its mind with worry. Prince Harshvardhan is devastated with grief."

"What? Is that true?"

"Yes, my lady, as true as the sun shining in the sky," the maid assured her.

Neelanjana did not know what to feel. Her adversary, as she had once thought of her, was gone, abducted by rebels, in all probability. Neelanjana doubted that they would ever see the princess alive again. The rebels were ruthless men. They wouldn't think twice before killing her.

What did Priyadarshini's disappearance mean for her? On the one hand, it consolidated her position as the chief courtesan, like never before, but on the other, it could mean a revival of Harshvardhan's interest in her. She certainly didn't wish to attract the prince's attention, but without a wife to warm his bed, he could well return to hers. What would she do then?

Neelanjana sat down with a hand to her head. It ached with the possibilities. How she wished that Hassan was here, in front of her. She wouldn't have lost a moment in accepting his proposal. Then another thought crept into her mind. What if Hassan changed his mind and no longer wished to marry her? Fate had always been cruel to her. It could very well snatch love from her grasp. She would then stand to lose both her hard-earned position and the man she loved.

Neelanjana decided that it wasn't the time to sit pondering on the possibilities. She had to act quickly. She must, first of all, find out how likely the prince was to show an interest in her. His indifference she craved, not his interest.

With a pounding heart, she arrived at the palace to find the prince staring morosely at the horizon, a frown marring his forehead, his lips pressed as if to prevent a cry, and a look of deep pain in his gaze.

"My lord," she made her way to him, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "Such a devastating news it is. I couldn't believe my ears at first."

Harshvardhan nodded, his voice grim when he spoke.

"I won't rest till I find out who's behind it. I will save her at any cost, then those men will hang at the market square for all to see."

"Poor princess. I wonder how she is? They might have already killed her or worse," Neelanjana did not realize that she had spoken her thoughts aloud. She was really sorry for the woman and sent a small prayer heavenward for her safety.

"How dare you?" Harshvardhan roared, removing her hand from his arm in distaste. "Keep your insincere concern to yourself, you wicked woman! Nothing will happen to my wife. I will make sure of that," he said, before walking away from her.

Tears threatened her eyes at the insult. She no longer wished to spend another moment in Jaigarh. The prince could keep his mansion and the title of chief courtesan. She wouldn't wait for the year to end, but leave for Hassan's homeland herself. She knew it would be dangerous, but she would risk it for the man she loved. But first, there was someone else she had to see. Would he agree to meet her?