Part 29-A Famed Beauty

The grand audience hall of the palace was festooned with flowers and colorful banners. Guests reclined on the plush carpets and soft cushions that lined the marble floors. The center of the hall had been cleared for the performers. Sherbets and sweetmeats were being served to those present. Thousands of lamps lit up the whole room, making it seem like daytime and not a moonless night.

Neelanjana ran her gaze through the crowd. Rulers and chieftains of different kingdoms and territories had been invited. Their attires and jewels vied with each other. It was, after all, no small occasion. The crown prince of Jaigarh had got married to the princess of Reshamgarh. It was a powerful and much-talked-about alliance. It wasn't every day that one saw two warring kingdoms joined into matrimony with the purpose of bringing peace to the region.

King Yashvardhan took his throne, accompanied by Queen Devnandini. On their left, sat a middle-aged man. His regal bearing with pleasant features and a handsome mustache, made him stand out. She had heard that he was King Somdutt, the father of the bride.

As for the bride herself, she sat beside the prince, resplendent in flowing silk skirts studded with gems and with a sheer veil covering her face. Neelanjana had first caught a glimpse of her when she had been on her way to the hall, accompanied by her maid. Of course, Neelanjana, at that moment, had been in Harshvardhan's arms, while he whispered his hilarious tale about his first meeting with the princess in the forest.

The princess had been shocked to see them in an embrace, color draining from her cheeks, while her eyes had stared at them in disbelief. Neelanjana had felt hysterical laughter bubble up inside her, at the other woman's expression. She had expected her to break out in a harangue at any moment, but thankfully, she had just averted her gaze and walked past them.

"Careful, my girl. You can have your eyes scratched out at any moment by the new bride," Harshvardhan had laughed, putting her at arm's length.

"You too need to watch your back, my lord. Rumor has it that the princess of Reshamgarh is handy with a dagger," she had made a repartee, grinning broadly.

"Well, if looks could have killed, I would have fallen dead at this very moment. Did you not see her glaring at us?" he mused.

"Any woman would be enraged, my lord, at the sight of another woman in her husband's arms. She seems to be no exception," Neelanjana had answered, feeling an unwanted pang of sympathy for the other girl.

Now, she let her curious gaze inspect her face. The princess was very young, far younger than Neelanjana or Harshvardhan. She was, no doubt, absolutely gorgeous to look at, while her petite frame made her seem like a delicate flower. She sat with her eyes downcast, only casting surreptitious glances at her husband at intervals.

What was she really like, wondered Neelanjana. It was better to know about one's rival well in advance. For rival she was, in a way. They both wanted Harshvardhan's attention, the princess as his wife, and Neelanjana as his concubine. It was absolutely necessary for her to keep him interested in her

to continue his patronage. So, she couldn't afford to feel bad for her rival, she mused.

All eyes turned to her as she stood under the huge domed roof. The guests were holding their breath in anticipation as she started singing in her melodious voice, telling a tale of Krishna, the cowherd, and his beloved, Radhika. People watched with rapt attention, while she sang of her longing for him, and how they were bound by their divine love, though they might live apart. The poignant tale brought moisture to the eyes of the audience, while her graceful dance movements drew words of appreciation.

"What grace! What poise!" shouted King Yashvardhan, "... You are undoubtedly the best in the kingdom, Neelanjana."

The others spoke out, agreeing with him. The floor became littered with jewels and coins, showered in appreciation. The servants became busy gathering them into bags. Neelanjana approached the prince, glad to see admiration in his eyes.

The princess looked askance at their playful banter, her face assuming an annoyed expression as the prince lavished praise on her. Neelanjana sent a victorious look her way as if challenging her. She was an old hand at this game. Who knew better than her, how to please men? Not this chit of a girl, surely.

"What did you think of the prince's new bride, milady?" her maid asked, as they were returning from the palace.

"Oh, she seemed docile enough. In all probability, she will spend her days languishing in her chamber, pining for her husband's attention. Do not be worried about her," she answered with confidence, for that was the story of most royal women. They lived in expectation of one loving glance from their husbands, who more often than not, were enamored of their concubines. The princess would be no exception.

Hassan picked up a stick and threw it into the fire, watching the dancing flames. He was sitting with the other merchants. They had lighted a bonfire and sat around it. Meat was roasting on sticks and the mouthwatering aroma filled the air at the campsite. They had made camp a few miles outside the city. They were almost near their destination, the kingdom of Jaigarh.

Soon, the meal was ready and he sat relishing the tender meat and the soft, fresh bread, baked by the servants over hot stones. His companions were all traders like him, undertaking journeys to distant lands to sell their merchandise. It was safer to travel in groups, for the way was infested with dreaded robbers, who thought nothing of slitting your throat and robbing all your money. He felt the pouch tucked away inside his cummerbund and was reassured to find it in place. His stones were precious, and he had to be careful about them.

"What is Jaigarh like?" asked a young trader, to another, more experienced one. It was his first journey and he was nervous about trading in a foreign land.

"It is said that it is richer than most kingdoms of the north," replied the older merchant. "The king is kind and benevolent and the laws fair."

"You make it sound like a paradise, brother," commented Hassan, not believing for a moment that it could be that good a place.

The merchant laughed, patting his back.

"Certainly not paradise, but a haven for traders, nonetheless. I'm sure that you'll make a nice profit there."

"Oh, and pray, what else is it famous for?" he asked, curious like the young man to know more about the place.

The man rubbed his hands, his eyes shining with remembered pleasure.

"The Chief Courtesan of Jaigarh. She is renowned far and wide for her beauty and her talent for song and dance," he said with a sigh.

"Have you seen her dance?" asked Hassan, curious to know more about the woman. It was seldom that he cared about any woman, but she must be something special to be known even outside her land.

"She only performs for the royals, my friend, but I have caught a glimpse of her once, while she passed by in her palanquin, and I can swear to you, that I haven't seen a more exquisite creature in my lifetime."

Hassan looked skeptically at him. He must be exaggerating, for how could any woman be that enticing? He wouldn't believe him till he saw the woman with his own eyes, though he wasn't interested in the woman, or was he? He couldn't decide.