Part 25-The Outlaw

"Neelanjana, my friend, you're an angel," cried Valli, clasping her hand. Then she noticed the prince and fell at his feet.

"My lord, I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for us," she said, tears flowing down her cheeks.

Harshvardhan reddened at this show of emotion.

"Get up, Valli. You're a brave girl and deserve to be with your lover." Then he turned to Dhruva who stood with his hands folded in gratitude.

The prince smiled at him, noting the love shining out of his eyes. He patted his back in encouragement.

"You have done well to show courage in the face of adversity. I wish that you hadn't been exiled, for I would have loved to have you in my personal guard," the prince said with regret.

Dhruva's face glowed with the praise from his prince.

"I'm indebted to you, my lord. I shall be ready to serve you with my life, whenever you have need of me. Just call and I shall come to serve you," he promised, knowing full well that the other man had in all probability, saved his life.

Neelanjana watched as Valli left with Dhruva, a tremulous smile on her lips. Her friend's world was righted. She would live the rest of her life being a good wife and mother. Lucky Valli, mused Neelanjana, envying her. But what about her? She wasn't oblivious to what had taken place a short time ago.

Neelanjana had spent the whole year gathering the courage to confess her love for Harshvardhan. Their encounters were often passionate, leading to extreme bliss, and left her wanting more. Naively, she had expected him to be in love with her before he opened her eyes to the harsh reality.

"I love no woman, nor would I ever love one," he had declared moments ago.

That was the truth staring her in the face. He had no feelings of love for her. Oh, he liked her, and was a generous lover, caring for her pleasure before his own. But love? No. It was even worse. She now knew that the only feeling he had for her was pity mixed with desire. A pathetic combination.

She was glad now for the fate that had stopped her from confessing her love for him. How ashamed she would have felt! She should thank the stars that had prevented her from blurting out her feelings. Neelanjana could feel her heartbreak within her bosom. The pain was almost physical, but it was better than humiliation. Her fists clenched and the nails made bloody half-moons on her palms.

Oblivious to this boiling cauldron of emotions within the woman beside him, Harshvardhan watched the lovers depart with satisfaction. Turning to her, he nudged her gently, and they walked out of the room to where the palanquin was waiting for her.

Rajyavardhan could see the territory of Jaigarh ahead. He had chosen this moonless night to travel with one of his faithful servants. Their horses were tired, but it wasn't wise to stop in the middle of the road. He had to reach the forest that lay between Jaigarh and Reshamgarh. A region frequented by outlaws and brigands, it was a place fraught with danger, but he was ready to take his chance.

What he was planning was no less dangerous. If the king got even a whiff of the conspiracy, Rajyavardhan stood to lose his all, even his head.

The jungle teemed with wild animals and wilder men. The roar of a tiger reverberated through the air, and Rajyavardhan felt a shiver of apprehension run through him. The place he was headed for, was a cave, or more of a rock overhang. He was expecting someone to meet him there. Would he come, or would it be a futile exercise?

"My lord, we're almost there," whispered the servant, pointing to where a tiny speck of light shone in the distance.

As they neared the spot, they could glimpse a fire burning and a couple of men seated next to it. Most of their faces were covered with thin blankets. One of them was smoking a clay pipe, exhaling a cloud of smoke.

Bringing his horse to a stop in front of the overhang, Rajyavardhan alighted, his heart pounding. How would he be greeted?

The man squatting beside the fire rose to his feet, hesitated, and then took a step forward.

"Greetings, Prince Rajyavardhan. What brings you here to this dangerous place in the middle of the night?"

"Sunder Singh, my brother, I'm glad to see that you accepted my request to meet me here, in your territory," Rajyavardhan said, extending his hand in a friendly gesture.

Sunder Singh, the dreaded outlaw, clasped his hand in a gesture of solidarity. He was no fool. He had a good inkling of the purpose for which a royal prince had traveled so far out of the comfort of the palace, but he wished to hear it from him.

"State your business, Prince," he said, getting impatient. He wasn't in the habit of making either small talk or staying in one place for any length of time. He had a reward on his head. It did not suit him to mix with royalty.

Rajyavardhan hesitated for a moment, then decided to jump in with both feet.

"The throne of Jaigarh is by rights mine. I want my throne," he blurted out, without mincing words.

"So, what can I do about it?" Sunder Singh asked. It was best to have everything stated out in clear words.

"I cannot do it without your help, brother Sunder Singh."

"Why should I help you? What is in it for me?" the outlaw asked.

"More than you can imagine, my brother. You shall have lands and wealth of your own. That's the promise of a royal prince to you," Rajyavardhan said, looking directly into his eyes.

Sunder Singh nodded.

"Let's sit and discuss this thing. You must be hungry too. I have a good wildfowl cooking on the fire. You're welcome to share it."

Rajyavardhan followed the man to the fire, sitting cross-legged on the dry ground. The aroma of roasting meat wafted over to his nose, tickling it. His mouth watered.

The fowl was divided and served on leaves. The prince tasted the strips of delicately flavored meat, and it gladdened his heart. The warm welcome extended by the outlaw was encouraging. The man could help him to gather an army of sorts. If everything went according to plan, nothing could stop him from carrying out a coup and overthrowing Yashvardhan.

The finer points of the conspiracy still remained to be worked out, but it was a starting, and as starting went, it couldn't have been better. He took a sigh of satisfaction. It was enough for now. The coming morning seemed full of promise. He was a step closer to his throne. That was enough for now, or was it?