Part 28-The Dilemma

Neelanjana sat stunned, turned to stone. This probability had not occurred to her. Oh, fool that she was! She should have known that Harshvardhan was duty-bound to produce an heir for the kingdom. Who better than a princess of the royal blood for that purpose? But the princess of Reshamgarh? Weren't they always at war with the neighboring kingdom? She asked as much to Prithviraj, who stood gloating at the shock on her face.

"There was a conference of all neighboring kingdoms held to find a solution to the constant wars between Jaigarh and Reshamgarh. I accompanied Harshvardhan to it. It was decided there, that Somdutt would give his daughter in marriage to our prince, under a peace treaty."

"Oh....it's more of a political expediency than a proper marriage. I can deal with that. You may rest assured, Prithviraj, that I won't be in a hurry to look for new patrons anytime soon," she retorted, showing him the door.

After he left, she sat down again to think. What would this alliance spell for her? She had achieved her status with considerable hard work. She wouldn't want it snatched away by some spoiled princess who entered Harshvardhan's life and enticed him away from her. She couldn't afford to lose the royal patronage that she enjoyed. It would be wise to keep the prince happy with some new tricks in bed.

The sun was out for a change in the mountains. Summer had taken its first tiny step in the sleepy little town. Hassan looked out of his window and inhaled the fresh air laden with the scent of pine needles. The old and rusty leaves had fallen, and it was a time for new beginnings. With that in mind, they had just shifted into a new house a few weeks ago. The old one had been in his family for generations, but what with his brothers getting married, they needed somewhere more spacious.

He was happy in a way. That house had so many memories of Salima. Everything reminded him of her. He could never lie easy in his bedchamber, without recalling the passionate nights spent with her. The sound of her laughter seemed to reverberate in the very air of that house. He glanced around his new room. It was so different from the old one. This was a newly built house, made of the finest strong wood and the local stones. It was also the biggest in town, for he was now one of the richest men in the region.

The last seven years had seen many changes, mostly for the better. The business had flourished. He had made quite a number of journeys to foreign lands, buying and selling valuable goods. His brothers were also adept at trading. In fact, things couldn't have been better at the business front. What was lacking in his life was the love of a woman. The pain of Salima's death was now lessened to a dull ache in the region of his heart. He still remembered her, but those moments were becoming less and less when he would shed tears for her. Still, he felt a pang of envy every time he watched his brothers with their wives.

At dinner that night, he sat with his family, his two brothers and his sister. She was the youngest of the lot and the darling of her brothers. How quickly she had grown up into a young woman of sixteen! He hated parting from them, but it was time for another of his business journeys.

"I shall be leaving for Jaigarh in a couple of days, Mother," he let Miriam know.

"Jaigarh? I haven't heard of it before....." she replied, frowning.

"It's one of the richest kingdoms in the plains of the seven rivers, Mother. I have heard much about its riches from other merchants."

"Be careful, son. These kingdoms are always at war with each other...." she advised, not liking the prospect of her son venturing into unknown territory.

"Do not worry. I shall be careful. I shall be gone only a couple of months, just long enough to sell my lapis lazuli, and return with the precious spices and cloth," he remarked.

"Can I come with you, brother?" his sister asked hopefully, her face full of excitement at the thought of visiting foreign lands.

"Of course not. It is not for a child like you to join a band of traveling traders. There are so many dangers on the way, like robbers and wild animals," he chided.

"Will you bring me a gift, then?" she asked, her eyes twinkling.

"What do you want?" he smiled indulgently.

"How about gold bangles?"

"I promise you, little one," he said, deciding to bring her the best ones he could find.

Harshvardhan watched as Neelanjana presented a rendition of the poignant tale of Shakuntala pining for her lover, King Dushyant. As always, she was a delight to watch, but today his mind was preoccupied with other disturbing thoughts. A few days ago he had attended a meeting of the rulers of all neighboring kingdoms to discuss peace in the region. The danger from marauding foreign armies was very real. Added to it, the enmity with Reshamgarh, with constant wars, was weakening both kingdoms. For the benefit of all, it was decided that he would wed Somdutt's daughter, thus putting an end to the rivalry that had been going on for years.

He had balked at the prospect of marrying the enemy's daughter but had to accede to the pressure from other rulers. Reluctantly, he had agreed to do as they suggested. A political treaty was drawn up and both he and Somdutt were bound by it, but the very thought of mingling his blood with that girl's made the bile rise in his belly. What was she like, he wondered. Was she as beautiful as the rumors said, or were the tales of her beauty exaggerated? Was she willing to enter this matrimonial alliance or was the thought as abhorrent to her as it was to him?

Harshvardhan sighed with dissatisfaction. What would he do if she was sickly or ill-formed? He had heard that Somdutt's wife had suffered long, before succumbing to her illness. Was the girl like her? Whatever be the case, he must find out before he wed her. He had heard that she was in the habit of riding out of the palace to visit the nearby woods. He would make a point to go after her, to see what she was like, though what he would do if he did not find her comely enough, he did not know. It was impossible to get out of that treaty.

Anyway, he had also heard that Somdutt loved his only daughter and was proud of her. She would be a hostage for her father's good behavior. Any harm caused to her would hurt his enemy. The very thought was enough to bring a smile to his face.

With that thought, he returned his attention to the excellent performance before him, lavishing praise when it came to an end. She was superb at this. None in Jaigarh could compete with her talent. She was rightly the chief courtesan of Jaigarh. Even after all these years, he found her beauty alluring. She had grown even more beautiful with age. Her exquisite beauty was enough to draw him to her bed. It was some consolation that she would still be there for him if his marriage proved an unwanted burden.

"What's the matter, Prince? Did you not enjoy the performance?" Neelanjana asked him, anxious to see a frown mar his face.

"You're excellent as always, my dear," he said, taking a pouch full of coins and handing it to her. "I love watching you, Neelanjana."

"I was thinking that so would other men. Maybe I should give some public performances," she suggested with a show of casualness. It was imperative that she find out if he wished to give her up after his marriage.

He jumped up to his feet at her words, his hand catching hold of her arm and pulling her against his chest.

"Forget that. Even if any man looks at you, I would end his life with my own hands. Remember that, Neelanjana. You belong to me, and no man else."