Part 42-A New Beginning

It was late evening when Neelanjana woke up from her bliss-induced sleep. She recalled their union and colored anew. Hassan was everything she had ever dreamed of in a lover- gentle, considerate, and passionate. She had been so aroused with his kisses and caresses, that she had almost lost control, crying out loudly, till he ended her agony and took her. She reveled in his possession, feeling him in and around her, clutching at his back, as if she would never let him go.

As she would. Never let him go, that is. If there had ever been even a speck of doubt in her mind about him, that had been wiped out by the onslaught of his passion. She knew that she could not live without him now that she had experienced what it meant to be loved by Hassan. All men paled in comparison, nay, they were not even in the race. His kisses, his touch, his possession, had cried out that he loved her beyond words. He had revered her like a pagan goddess, calling her one in his gruff voice that had been colored by desire.

Her gaze sought his sleeping form beside her. Their limbs were entangled, his skin still moist and a little rough against her own soft one. His hair had fallen over his forehead, giving him a boyish look. His breathing was deep and warm, raising a tingling sensation in her lips that itched to kiss him awake so that they could start over again, but she was loath to wake him up. He had traveled a long distance and needed his rest. Instead, she snuggled against him, burying her face in his chest, inhaling the musky scent and enjoying the closeness. Neelanjana didn't realize when she fell asleep again, cuddled up with him.

The scent of roses and jasmine tickled his nose. Had he died and gone to heaven? His camp on the long journey smelled of horses and goats, nothing like this garden of paradise. He stirred, the haze in his mind clearing in stages, till he recalled where he was. In the next instant, he opened his eyes, his gaze falling on the woman sleeping in his arms. It was the perfume emanating from her tresses, that had awakened his senses. Yes, he was definitely in paradise, for an angel was lying with him. His memory flooded back, bringing enticing images of their lovemaking. His body stirred with remembered pleasure, and it was at this moment that she woke, her half-opened lids heavy with a mixture of sleep and desire.

He could not help himself and kissed her, tasting the sweetness of her lips. She returned the kiss with equal fervor, but then pulled back.

"You must be tired from all that traveling at breakneck speed. Rest some more," she said, rising from the bed.

The next time he woke, she was standing beside the bed, gazing lovingly at him. Every hill and valley of her body was visible through the diaphanous robe she had donned after her ablutions. He stared at her with unabashed hunger and admiration.

"What are you looking at, dearest?" she asked, a smile on her lips.

"Just wondering how I got so lucky," he replied, throwing open his arms.

Without wasting another moment, she dropped the robe and got into the bed. She was happy that they had waited till she accepted his proposal. Now there was no need for a furtive or hurried coupling. They had all the time in the world, nay all their lives, to love each other.

"The night is still ours," Hassan commented as if reading her mind, "As are all the tomorrows."

For the next couple of days, he tried to persuade her to leave Jaigarh, but Neelanjana had something important to do.

"My love, I have considerable lands and jewels that I have earned through my miserable existence. I have endured much to gain them, and I cannot leave them behind," she told him.

She had asked one of her trusted servants to sell her land and jewels. Harshvardhan was away in search of Princess Priyadarshini, and so she had decided to take the risk of delaying their departure for a couple of days. Once she had the money in her hands, she wouldn't wait for a moment before leaving. Neelanjana hoped and prayed that the prince would be too busy with his wife, or mourning her, that he wouldn't care to send his men behind her and Hassan.