SPECIA£ CHAPTER 3 - lily jane, my lily jane

✞ £ ✞

"Ali, can we talk to you?"

I turned to LJ's mother, tita Adeline, when she called my attention. LJ went out to talk with Nurse Luna and her parent's doctors while I was supposed to go out and buy us lunch. Tita is looking at me with a sad smile as well as tito Caius who's on his bed beside hers.

I closed the door when I saw their eyes that were somber. It pulled me in and I know I have to listen.

I carefully made my way and stood in between their hospital beds. I made sure I'm not stepping on the cords of the machines that are keeping them alive. And I stood there, with hands on my sides, looking at them attentively.

"You know we don't have much time," LJ's father smiled bitterly behind his oxygen mask. "And we know we all can't do anything about it."

I gulped, feeling the overwhelming heaviness coming up my throat. "I'm sorry..."

Even for the short time that I was with them, I felt the love of a parent from them. I felt genuine support for what I do, and they made me feel cared for. They treated me like their own child. And that replaced all the bad memories in my head of my own parents.

And even if it's just for a short time, they've already left an imprint on me so hearing them admit to their own fate makes me want to... cry.

Tito's smile turned genuine and he shook his head. "Don't be. It's not your fault."

I inhaled a shaky breath to try and keep myself composed.

"Ali," LJ's mother called me in her sweet motherly tone. "Thank you for always being there for Lily Jane. Thank you for being present in her life when we couldn't."

"You're welcome po." I tried to smile even though my lips are starting to quiver. "But really, I don't think I can leave her. I don't think I can... live without her."

"I'm happy that she has that impact in your life," says tito. "I wish that won't change."

I nodded, my smile widening. "It won't."

They both have this matching smile that conveyed their approval. And in their smile, I felt the acceptance that I was searching for from my own parents, the acceptance that I lost.