Ch. 7: Duel

Later, Amity and Lilith stood on one side of the arena while Luz stood on the other side. Everyone had heard about the witches duel and of a human going against Amity, a well known and powerful witch that was being mentored by Emperor's Coven head witch. They thought it was going to be an obvious win for the Blight girl.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, today we have a duel between Amity Blight." The crowd cheered, "And... some human girl."

Everyone cheered either cheered for Amity or booed for Luz as the human was taking off her cloak and folding it up. She put it by the farthest wall for safe keeping so she could save it for later.

'Okay, time to strategize. My super strength should be enough for this without revealing too much of my powers.' Luz thought as she turned back to Amity.

"Begin." Lilith said.

Amity made a spell circle and made an Abomination, far larger than she's made in the past, rose from it. Amity looked surprised and Luz had a feeling something wasn't right.

'I'll deal with that after I destroy this thing.' Luz thought.

"A-Abomination, attack!" Amity said, regaining face and pointing towards Luz.

The large abomination groaned as it marched towards Luz, making the human prepare herself as she reeled her fist back. Luz threw her punch and completely destroyed the Abomination. Everything went silent, nobody could make a sound as they stared at Luz in shock! They couldn't understand how she just obliterated an abomination is just one PUNCH!

"Is that it?" Luz asked as she blew some leftover muck off her hand. "Are you satisfied or do you want to show more?"

Amity was stunned and couldn't move. So Luz decided that she would go next. She used her x-ray vision and saw something on the back of Amity's neck.

'Gotcha.' Luz thought as Amity snapped out of her funk.

"Abomination, Rise!" Amity said, summoning another abomination, "Abomination... kill."

The abomination groaned as it's hands hardened into large spikes, charging at Luz to impale her.

'It's smaller but it's still sluggish.' Luz thought as she dodged its lazy swings while walking backward.

"Honestly, I was expecting more." Luz said.

The Abomination moved towards her again and she dodged another strike, this time discretely using her heat vision for cut its arm off. It groaned in pain before Luz jumped up and grabbed the hardened arm, using it to smash the monster into a puddle! Once again, Luz surprised everyone as she turned to Amity.

"Again I ask, is that all?" Luz said before she crushed the arm in her hand.

Amity took a step back and tried to summon another Abomination.

"A... Abom... Abomination..."

Luz got tired and used her speed to run behind Amity and pull the power glyph off her neck.

"I think that's enough of that." Luz said before looking over the glyph. "I remember this, it's from the construction coven. A power glyph."

"Want to tell me how that got onto her neck, Mrs. Clawthorne?" Luz asked.

Everyone turned to Lilith as she looked shocked but quickly composed herself.

"What are you talking about? That is not my doing." She said but Luz could tell she was lying.

"And you think it was Amity's? Does her expression look like that of a liar?" Luz asked as she turned Amity around to face Lilith. "She was completely unaware that you slipped this glyph on her neck to increase her power."

"Miss Lilith?" Amity asked, "Did... did you make me cheat?"

Seeing her hurt and betrayed expression, Lilith wavered as she tried to think of a way to make this into a good thing.

"I... I did what was necessary." Lilith said, "I needed you to win this duel."

"That's all you care about?!" Amity said, "You're my teacher because you're meant to be a powerful and honorable witch!"

"Cheating is one thing, but making your student cheat without her even knowing?" Luz said, "Honestly, that's just disgusting. People that have trained me would rather except the loss than cheat."

"You... you made me look like a coward!" Amity said, storming off.

Luz looked at Lilith.

"Was it worth it?" She asked before walking off to find Amity.

Lilith looked down in guilt as the crowd continued to stare at her in shock while mumbling about her actions.