Ch. 10: Kryptonite

Luz landed outside the Owl House and looked at Amity.

"Are you okay?"

"Ah....yeah but.....are you sure I'll be safe here?" Amity asked as she blushed at Luz.

"I mean, you do have me to protect you." Luz said, "I am the daughter of a nigh invulnerable alien, remember?"

"I-I guess but still..." Amity said with doubts before Luz held her shoulders.

"Trust me, I swear on my life, I will protect you." Luz said before giving her a hug. "You won't have to deal with your mother anymore. I promise."

'And maybe I put enough fear into her that it makes her think about her past actions.' Luz thought.

Amity blushed brightly in this embrace but still hugged back, feeling so calm and so protected in Luz's embrace than in any before. It was like nirvana and she didn't want it to end. Unfortunately, it did come to an end, as Luz brought her inside. Hooty greeted them with a smile, freaking Amity out a bit before Luz patted him on the head.

"Don't mind Hooty. He gets excitable around new people. Just say hi every now and then and he'll leave you alone." Luz said.

"I am a social house demon. Hoot." He said.

Amity mumbled a little.

Luz chuckled at this, being able to hear Amity's mumbling before shutting the door behind them.

"Luz, you're back and you brought a friend?" King said as he and Eda came into the den.

"Hey, isn't that the Blight girl?" Eda asked, "What's the matter, finally have enough of your mom's bullshit?"

"Eda, not a good time to joke." Luz said to her, nodding to the mark still on Amity's cheek.

"Oh! My bad! I didn't think Dali had it in her to actually hit her kid!" Eda said, feeling awkward for her joke now.

"It's fine...Luz said I'd be staying her to be safe, is that alright with you?" Amity asked.

"She did?" Eda asked, looking at Luz as she nodded firmly. "She did. Well, I guess it'll be alright IF you pull your weight that is."

"Anything." Amity said.

"Not anything!" Luz said quickly.

"Relax, it's nothing demanding or demeaning. Maybe a little withdrawal from her saving but nothing big." Eda said with her hands up, "Right now, just... go upstairs and get her settled in."

"Okay but do you have any other rooms available?" Luz asked her.

"Besides my weapons room?" Eda asked her.

"You have a weapons room?" Luz asked.

"Kid, not all of us have heat vision." Eda said, "You two will just have to share a room."

"Share?" Luz and Amity said.

"Yep, share. You're big girls, you can share a space." Eda said to them.

"Well... come on Amity... let's go upstairs." Luz said.

"Sure...." Amity said with a small blush.

So many new feelings were going through her right now, all of them towards the half human that came into her life just TODAY and was so kind after she was such a jerk.

Luz led Amity up the stairs and into her closet.

"Well, here we are." Luz said, "It... not much, but best Eda could do for the girl she found dazed in the woods."

"And here I thought I already came out of the closet." Amity mumbled, forgetting that Luz had advanced hearing.

Luz held back a chuckle.

'It's kind of cute that she thinks I can't hear her.' Luz thought, 'I mean, not cute like that... or maybe-'

"So, this is where you sleep?" Amity asked.

Luz pulled herself from her thoughts to answer Amity.

"Yep, this is it. I've been sleeping here." Luz said.

"Just in this sleeping bag?" Amity asked.

Amity sat down on it, not entirely sure what to do with it.

"It.....doesn't look like much but if feels comfortable." Amity said.

"Just wait until you sleep in it. Though, that would mean Eda would have to find us a second one." Luz said.

Amity looked to the ground.

"Does... does she have too?" Amity asked.

It occurred to Luz, Amity may not want to sleep in a separate one, she probably wants to hold someone because she's afraid.

"...No, I guess not. We could share the sleeping bag for a while, if you want to." Luz said to her.

Amity blushed a little.

"Please." Amity said.

Luz got on the ground and hugged Amity.

"I know you're scared, but as long as I'm here, nothing will-"

There was a small explosion from a potion Eda was making that shook the house. It knocked a small chest off a shelf and broke open, letting a small green glowing stone fall out. Luz's eyes widened at this and started to feel weak. Luz fell to her side and started groaning.

"Luz, what's the matter!?" Amity said in worry.

"Amity... get rid of that stone." Luz said.

"The stone?" Amity asked as she looked at the small green stone.

"Yes.....kryptonite." Luz said as breathing became difficult, heavy. "Poison...."

Hearing this, Amity gasped before she turned to the green stone! She quickly covered it in abomination goo before picking it up and rushing to the window! She opened it and turned the goo into a slingshot, launching the stone off the nearby cliff and into the boiling sea. Luz started to breath easier and sat back up.

"Thanks." Luz said.

Amity rushed back and hugged Luz, so worried, but so grateful that she was alright now.

"Luz, what was that? Why was it hurting you?" Amity asked her.

"My dad told me that after his home planet, Krypton, was destroyed, the fragments of it became irradiated and dangerous to us. The effect changes with different colors but it's still dangerous." Luz said as she hugged Amity back, calming her down. "That piece you got rid of, was green kryptonite. Eda must've found it in the Human Realm and threw it in here. Hopefully there isn't anymore on the Isles."