Stop Pretending

Zoe's POV

After leaving Rafe's, I head home to relieve Caroline of her duty. She was the nurse I had hired to sit with mom as I ran around and did things. Like had sex with my pertend boyfriend. I can't believe I had done that. And he asked me to move in with him.

"No more pretending, Zoe," I remember him saying as I sit there crying

Does it mean we were really a couple. I knew I was really pregnant and he was really the father.

"Caroline, I'm back," I call out as I enter the apartment

"OH good," she says

"Has she ate anything?" I ask, taking my coat off

"A little not much"

Caroline was a short woman with dark drown hair. She was cubby and had beautiful blue eyes. She always wore black dress pants and a nice dressy shirt. Her shoes were black oxfords with no heels. Always wearing her hair up in a tight bun. And a pair of wire frame glasses that sit on the bridge of her nose.

"Thank you, Caroline." I tell her,"I'll call you tomorrow, "

"Yes ma'am," she says, grabbing her purse  she heads out

I go to mommas room, and she sits in the rocker looking out the window. "Hey, momma," I say. "Caroline said you ate a little. I'm proud of you," I tell her."I went to see Rafe today. "

I hadn't told her yet that I was pregnant. I'd just found out today that I was. I knew as soon as I found out I had to tell Rafe. I went to the doctor because I had been sick for the past few months. Little did I know the reason why I was sick. I should have known, though.

"Momma" I say sitting a chair in front of her I sit down "mom, I'm pregnant" I tell her "I'm a little scared" I admit "Rafe says we'll be alright" I tell her "I need you momma" I say tears stream down my eyes how I needed her now. "Rafe wants us to move in with him," I tell her. "I need your advice, momma."

I sit looking into her eyes. I could swear I saw her smile. I could be wrong, though. With a sigh, I get up, moving the chair away. "I'll go fix dinner," I tell her

I grab my phone as I head to the kitchen to put on some spaghetti for tonight. I had missed Rafe the whole time I was away from him. My heart broke when I had to leave him. It was already hurting because dad had passed. I decided then what I was going to do. This apparment was always too small for us anyway. Mom needed more room, and it would do her good to get out of this place.

Zoe: Are you busy

Rafe: Never too busy for you

I smile. He had a way with words.

Zoe : Yes

Rafe: I don't believe I follow love

Zoe : You asked me to move in. My answer is yes.

Rafe : I just spilled coffee all over my computer

Zoe: I'm sorry

Rafe: Don't be, I can get a new one. When?

Zoe: We can start tomorrow, or is that too soon

Rafe: Not soon enough, but I'll live

I smile Zoe: We could use some help packing up. "

Rafe: I'll send Maxwell over to help

My smile disappeared, I was hoping he would be the one to help. But he must be busy.
Zoe: All right, see you tomorrow then

Rafe: I can't wait

I put my phone on the counter and finished dinner. Then go get mom.

"Guss what?" I say as I help her into the kitchen. "I told Rafe we were moving in. Isn't it exciting, mom? " I say."He's sending Maxwell over tomorrow to help pack, and we can start our move. I think dad would be proud of us, don't you? "