New beginning

Angelo pov:

I woke up, cold sweat running down my face. I caught my breath and got to the bathroom; the dream was too real. I just hope it isn't a premonition.

**Flashback dream sequence**

I ran, and ran away as fast as I could. The whole world was collapsing. At first, it started as a drop of rain going up—weird. Once all the rain had gone up, people turned to stone statues. I feared for my life, so I ran away from the center. But it was futile. The moment I got away from the center of the chaos that was happening, I looked down to my feet—they were already solid stone. That was the moment I realized it was all useless, and so I closed my eyes and accepted my fate. And that was the time I woke up.

**Flashback dream sequence end**

Here I am, staring at the reflection of myself in the mirror early in the morning. I couldn't shake the feeling that the dream was going to happen, and I don't know when. What am I thinking? I shook my head a bit to wake up my senses, exited the bathroom, and looked at the wall clock. It was 4:30 am. I had some time for an early morning workout. I got suited up with my shirt and jogging pants, complete with a hoodie, and I started running. It was a good thing to do when I wanted to forget something bad—I always exercised.

I looked at my watch; it was already 5:50 am, and at least 1 hour and 20 minutes had passed. It was time to go back home. I started jogging back home, encountering some of my neighbors. Of course, I greeted them, but what shocked me was someone was at the doorstep of my house. It was Carlo??

I gathered my thoughts and simply walked over to him. He smiled before saying, “Well, well... if it isn't the kid back then in Italy, the one that was chased by the mysterious bar regulars.” I looked at him with confusion on my face. How did he get my address, and more importantly, why did Dad open the door? The moment Dad opened the door and saw Carlo and me, he smiled and looked at me. “Son, meet Carlo. He is your uncle,” Dad said. Wait... hold on, rewind that. Did Dad just say Carlo is my uncle?

I was even more confused now. How come he didn't react when he saw me in Italy? As far as I know, he was just a shabby-looking man that enjoys bars and drinking. Before I could ask any questions, Dad let Carlo, or should I say uncle, inside the house. No use contemplating—I'm going to ask him at my house now.

Silence is what I could describe the atmosphere of the room. To break it, I asked my main question right away. “Carlo, ahem, you didn't tell you were a relative? Care to explain?” I tilted my head in confusion, waiting for a response. He just sighed before looking at Dad.

Dad understood it immediately and went to the kitchen where he assisted Mom with cooking. It was time for Carlo to answer my question.

“For starters, I didn't know you were my nephew, and second, you wouldn't want an uncle that was involved with the Costa Nostra, is it not?” Wait, did I hear that right? Carlo was involved with the Sicilian Mafia?!? I jolted up in my seat before I calmed down a bit. I should have expected that since he knows the people in the mysterious bar. Speaking of the mysterious bar, “...Carl— ahem, Uncle Carlo, how did you get here?” I asked him as he simply smiled and replied, “I have my ways. You should have expected that since I was sort of involved—scratch that, I am a retired capo.” He said that... Uncle Carlo is a retired mafia guy and a capo nonetheless! Intrigued, I asked a few more questions about how was it like being a capo. Of course, he only answered a few. There is a saying in the mafia, ‘omerta.’

He only revealed some info quite shallow and sometimes even basic information about the mafia. I gathered my thoughts before asking one final question to him. “Uncle Carlo, are you more than just a retired capo?” I asked him. He rested his head on the sofa head before smiling and replying with, “Have you ever heard of the St. Pavlov Foundation?” He asked. “St. Pavlov Foundation… I heard that name before. Is it that institute where they recruit arcanists and capable humans, right?” I said. Uncle Carlo simply nodded. “Yes, that foundation,” he said. Why is it connected to him?

And then I pieced things together. Retired mafia capo, knew my location, asked about if I knew the foundation... I pieced things together. Uncle Carlo was here to— “Uncle Carlo, are you asking me to join St. Pavlov Foundation?” I said. He simply replied, “Oh no… something much more than that.” I don't like that… “What is it then, Uncle Carlo?” I prepared myself for it, and I gently squeezed the armrest of the couch I'm sitting opposite to him.

“Would you like to go to the digital world again to see your friend? You just need to infiltrate the St. Pavlov Foundation!” He said... “!?!?!” A visible shock was seen in my expression. Without thinking properly, I quickly answered, “When's the time…”

That was the greatest mistake I have ever made in my whole life…