Chapter 1

Gisela's POV

I had power. And it felt good. There was nothing like having the hotel employees bend to my will.

So this was what promotion felt like. As if one day ago, Fintan had finally given me what I deserved and made me assistant manager. And the good thing was, Fintan was "out sick" so often, I pretty much had all the control. And be mean to anyone I wanted.

I had an army of employees. I had two receptionists, Alvar Vacker and Umber. I had a concierge, Gethen Ondsinn. I had a housekeeper, Ruy Ignis. I had a chef, Trix, and a sous chef, Brant Redacted. I used to have a waitress, Rayni Aria, but she quit not long ago. Ugh, the headaches that came with power.

"Gisela?" Someone asked, tearing me away from my thoughts. I looked up, annoyed, to find Alvar staring at me with worried eyes. Great. What was going wrong now?

"What is it?" I asked through a sigh.

"We're having some... issues... with a customer at the front desk. Things are getting pretty heated between him and Umber. And I'm worried guests will be disturbed by them yelling at each other."

I nodded. "I'll deal with it right away." Alvar thanked me and left. I sighed and leaned back in my rolly-chair. Umber was in a fight with a guest again? She had to be dealt with.

After grabbing a cup of tea from my office's personal kitchen, I typed in the front desk's number and put the phone up to my ear. It was picked up almost immediately. But instead of being Umber, ready to get a stern talking to, it was Alvar who picked up the phone.

"Gisela, please come quick. It's getting worse—AHH!" Alvar was cut off by a clang that must have been the phone hitting the floor. I quickly hopped out of my chair and out the door. I didn't even bother using the elevator as I ran down the staircase to the lobby. But I was not prepared to walk into the scene that was happening.

Umber was chasing a guest around the lobby with a personalized hotel notepad, screaming threats at him as he yelled them back at her.

"You want your money back? Well, TOO BAD!"

"Hey!" The man yelled back.

"HAHA!" Umber replied. "Don't forget I have the power in this situation! And if you think our hospitality is sub par, you are going to pay! Literally and figuratively!"

"I don't even know what that means!" the customer screamed back in her face.

Umber picked up the nearest book, The History Of Gisela, and threw it in the man's face. "Here's a book. Read it."

I still stood in the door, frozen in shock. Not only did Umber throw my book, but she threw it at a customer.

Umber would have to pay. Big time.

[A/N: This first chapter was a little short, but the next ones should be longer :)]