Chapter 15

Gisela's POV

"Thank you all for coming to this meeting," Said Mr. Neverseen, the owner of Neverseen Hotels. "I heard there was an... issue."

"I'm innocent!" Brant yelled.

"I'm sure you are, Mr. Redacted." Mr. Neverseen shifted in his seat. "Can Mr. Fintan explain what happened?"

"Of course! I was on my lunch break at my favorite restaurant, The Evil Chicken. When I came back, someone had robbed a guest's room under my name!"

Mr. Neverseen looked unconvinced. "That's what they all say," he said.

"I'm telling the truth!"

Mr. Neverseen thought for a minute. "Then it's okay, bro."

I shot up from my seat. "WHAT?"

Mr. Neverseen sized me up for a moment. "Do you have an objection?"
I thought for a moment. I couldn't blow my cover and say that I was trying to get Fintan fired. The last thing I needed was for Fintan to get suspicious. But, then again, if I got him fired, I wouldn't have to worry about it. I would be free! But the risk was too high.

"No." I sat back down, trying to hide my frown. I would get Fintan fired. If not now, it would be soon.

+++

It was my turn to do the rounds around the hotel. That was great, because I needed to avoid Fintan for as long as possible. I went to Gethen for help. He was unhelpful, as usual.

"Why don't you just share power?" Gethen asked, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"Ugh. You don't get it."

Gethen rolled his eyes. "What are you going to do now?"

"I'll figure it out."

+++

Brant's POV

After five cooking lessons, I was ready to take back the kitchen. I now had infinite knowledge. Did you know that when the instructions say to cook for five minutes, they mean to set a timer? Maybe that's why my food kept burning. Huh. So much more made sense now.

For the first time, someone complimented me on how my food tasted. I couldn't believe it! I was making my favorite dish for one of the guests when Gethen came barreling in.

"Someone wanted room service. They ordered a cookie." Gethen panted.

"But they have those at the front desk," I told him.

"Yeah, something about avoiding the front desk," he said, like it was obvious. Which I guess it should have been.

"Just grab one from the front desk." I suggested.

"But... I don't want to go there, either!" Gethen whined.

I rolled my eyes. Some things never changed.

+++

Ruy's POV

I was cleaning the hallways, minding my own business, when Gisela came up to me.

"I know you've been stealing the complimentary cookies," she told me.

I paled and started to sweat. "You... what?" I cried. "I mean, you're wrong!"

Gisela sighed. "What do you have to say for yourself?"
"I... uh... I was hungry!"

"Listen, I won't tell Fintan. Just don't eat any more cookies from the rooms. Steal them from Umber!"

"Thank you, Gisela."

She nodded sagely.

+++

Alvar's POV

The front desk was as chaotic as always. All the chocolate chip cookies we give out when people come to the desk were gone! Someone must have stolen them. We had a week's supply! Uh... don't tell the people who ate the cookies that.

"How could this have happened?" Umber raged. I tried to tell her to calm down, but it was of no use. When someone stole sugar, Umber got angry. Apparently, The History of Gisela was missing as well. Unforgivable! I blame Umber.

On the bright side, our reviews have gone from 0-Stars-If-I-Could to an average of two to three stars! I would know–I ran the website.

Umber's raging was still going strong. "I!" Smash! "Can't!" Smash! "BELIEVE IT!"

"Umber, calm down! They were only cookies! Don't take your anger out on those poor desk drawers."

Umber reeled on me. Oops. For a moment there, I genuinely feared for my life.

"Only cookies?" She seethed. I began to sweat. Then, out of nowhere, I was miraculously saved.

"Alvar? Umber?" Trix asked. "We need some more soaps in the dining room's bathroom. Order some, please. Then he left as quickly as he had come.

"Better, um, go do that." I told Umber as I ran towards my computer. As I was turning it on, I noticed something. Were those... cookie crumbs in the keys?

+++

Gisela's POV

I was getting ready to go home for the day when I noticed Fintan hovering by the door.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

Fintan shook his head. "Quite the contrary. I'm going to be on vacation–I mean, sick–for the next few weeks."

"You mean months?" I said under my breath.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Nothing." I replied quickly.

Fintan looked unconvinced, but he let it go. "See you later. Take care of the hotel while I'm gone."

Then he took off without even looking back.