Chapter 4

Gisela's POV

"Fintan's back! TIME TO PARRRRRTYY!" He shouted, jumping around and spinning in circles.

I rubbed my temples. Great.

"I had the best vacation–I mean–recovery." Fintan corrected. "I feel really refre–AHHH!" Fintan's backpack fell off his shoulders, and flailed his arms around to try and grab it. But, it was too late, and the backpack landed on the ground with a splat.

Everyone gasped as a book fell out of Fintan's bag. The title read: TEN MOST LUXURIOUS VACATIONS TO SPEND YOUR COMPANY'S MONEY ON.

"What?" Gethen cried.

"It-It's Gisela's!" Fintan stuttered.

The staff gasped again as they turned to look at me.

"Please, Fintan. My book fell out of your backpack after you came back from a long period of 'sick days?'" I made little air quotes with my fingers.

Stunned, everyone stood in silence. Until the UPS guy came.

"I have an order of oat soaps for... Alvar?" He looked down at the package.

"Perfect. Right on time," Alvar said with a smile and took the box. "Thank you for your service."

"Um–" The guy started to say, but Alvar interrupted him.

"No need, go to your next delivery." He winked.

"I need you to sign this," The guy told him.

Alvar gave us puppy eyes. "He wants my signature. How cute!" He turned to the guy. "I'm not that famous."

"No, for the package," The guy explained.

"Oh." Alvar's cheeks turned very red. "That's what I meant." He turned to us. "Look! I upgraded soaps. It's the fancy oat ones now!"

Excited, he opened the wrapper.

"Is it oat soap or... just oats?" Ruy asked.

+++

"Gisela, look what I found in a guest's room!" Gethen told me excitedly. "Oat bars! How scrumptious! They must've known I was hungry." He took a large bite of the bar.

"Tastes kinda funny," He told me between bites.

"AHHHHHH! CALL 911! WE NEED CPR!" Ruy yelled from the doorway.

"Why? Oh..." Gethen slumped against the wall. "I don't feel too good."

Alvar bursted into the room. "GETHEN! I'LL SAVE YOU!"

Fintan passed by, shaking his head. "What goes on here while I'm not around?"

Gethen's POV

"Here's some of the soaps you requested. Because of the shortage, we are treating you to a more luxurious oat soap. Enjoy your stay." The hotel had never been this busy, and the concierge service was veryunderstaffed. Instead of answering phones, like what my job was supposed to be, I was delivering soaps to angry hotel stayers.

Despite my numerous attempts to convince Fintan to hire more people, I remain the only concierge at Neverseen Hotel. Deep inside my internal rant, I almost let them close the door before they could give me what I really needed out of this job.

I held open the door with my foot. "Tip, please."

Scowling, the man put a penny into my hand before slamming the door in my face.

"RUDE!" I yelled through the door.

"Gethen! No. Yelling. At. The. Customers." Fintan came walking towards me from out of nowhere.

"You're one to talk, Mr. Fintan. I heard you yelling at Brant earlier this morning."

"He burnt my toast. Again."

I rolled my eyes and moved down the hall towards my next customer. The sign on the door said "do not disturb." Too bad. I'm disturbing. Haha.

+++

Gisela's Pov

I made my daily rounds around the hotel, just like usual. Even though it was always the same, it felt different while Fintan was there.

Something about knowing he was around the hotel made my skin crawl and my chores 1,000 times worse.

Being under Fintan's rule was worse than my failure with the Gorgodons.

I hated that Fintan was back. There was nothing worse than giving back the reins after weeks of power.

He was all, "Gisela, do this," and "Gisela, do that."

Hello, Fintan. I'm management too!

Why couldn't he go back to his fancy vacation?

Then I realized. Fintan was not the owner of Neverseen Hotel. He was the manager. If I could prove that he was spending company money and getting paid for going on vacation, I could become the manager of Neverseen Hotel. And Fintan would go bye-bye.