Chapter 5

Fintan's POV

Power feels good. Especially when you can rub it in someone else's face. Especially when that face is Gisela's.

I know Gisela enjoyed her time as a wannabe leader, but that time is over. She needed to face the facts. Iwas the real leader around here.

I basked in the warm spotlight of leadership, and every meal Ruy and Brant made me was just proof of my royal status. But there was no time to sit around, daydreaming about my position. I had to do the boring part of my career: making sure everyone was abiding by the rules and not playing video games on the job.

"Gethen. Falling behind again?" I crossed my arms at him.

"Sorry... Sir Fintan. I will try harder. However, there is no harm in adding another member to the staff team to help me."

"Please. You're fine, Gethen. Get back to work." I scowled. Why did Gethen always do this? Like I hadn't given him enough.

Sighing, I took out my to-do list. My next chore was to hassle Ruy so he would clean rooms faster.

"Ruy! My favorite staff member!" I called down the hall.

"I am?" He asked.

Not really. But I couldn't tell him that.

"Of course!" I patted him on the back. "How many rooms do you have left to do, buddy?"

He looked down at the list. "25 rooms," He said.

Darn. "Well. Get kraken' Ruy! You don't want to get behind. You have a full load tomorrow!" With that, I left Ruy behind. Next was my visit to the kitchen.

The kitchen was always my least favorite place to visit. For some reason, it always smelled like smoke.

"How's it going," I coughed through the ashy air of the kitchen.

"Better than yesterday," Brant told me, fanning off yet another piece of burnt toast.

"We had a small issue with the toast... and the butter..." Trix motioned to the burnt toast in Brant's hand, then to a large puddle on the floor that looked suspiciously like a blob of butter. "Might need Alvar to order some more of both items."

"Yeah, I don't think Alvar's going to be doing the ordering again any time soon," I told them.

"Really? What happened?" Brant pressed. "We never get to hear any of the drama down here in the kitchen."

Trix nodded. "All we ever hear are customer complaints. Like, why do I care if the chicken is not cooked and the milk is chunky? I'm telling you, people have some nerve for complaining."

"I have things to do, so I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that and move on," I informed them. With an "I'll tell you later!" to a disappointed Brant, I marched down the hall, leaving the burning smell behind. I was just about to consider hiring new chefs when I found myself face-to-face with Gisela. I groaned.

"What is it now?"

"We had an incident at the front desk. Gethen had an accident." Gisela's face looked grim.

I gasped. "Really? What happened? Take me to him!" So Gisela led me to the front desk, where Gethen sat dramatically groaning on a cushioned seat.

"What happened?" I half-asked, half-demanded again.

"Gethen tripped over a guest's feet on the way to the elevator."

"That's what all this fuss is about? I have a long list to accomplish today."

"Gissla always paid attention to even our most basic needs," Alvar informed us unhelpfully.

"Yeah, sure." Rolling my eyes, I turned back to Gethen."Can I go now?"

"All I wanted was a tip!" Gethen sobbed, clearly still immersed in his own troubles. I took that as a yes.

"See ya later." With a mocking wave, I stalked out into the hall. After all, I had things to do.