Chapter 3

Gisela's POV

What was up with the concierge service today? The complaints were coming right and left. I made a mental note to discuss it with Gethen later. Maybe Brant could help him at the busier times of the day. And Ruy if he was near the delivery location.

"We are running low on mini-soaps," Ruy's voice crackled over the walkie talkie.

Great. Just what I needed.

"Alvar. Buy some more," I replied.

"On it." Alvar replied, his eyes not leaving his computer screen.

Because it was almost dinner time, I stopped in the kitchen to see the progress Trix and Brant were doing on our signature meals. The burning smell did not help my worries.

"How's it going?" I asked as I stepped inside the kitchen.

"Good," Brant told me, fanning a burnt piece of toast. "Just dandy. Right, Trix." [A/N: Yeah, just don't ask XD]

"Sir, yes, sir!" Trix replied. He was stirring a bowl of what looked like a thick gooey paste. Which was not on our menu.

"What's that, Trix?" I asked with dread.

"Salad," he answered, continuing to mix. I groaned.

"Don't worry, Gisela," Brant told me, slinging his arm over my shoulder. "We have 100 good meals. We can just tell customers that the salad is so good, it's out of stock. They'll come back the next day for the salad instead of going somewhere else. Genius, right?"

"Sure..." I told them, and went out to check on Ruy. Many customers were checking out the next day, and his cart needed to be fully stocked. Our number of stars would not go down under my watch.

"Get cracking, Ruy." I told him.

"But the newest episode of my favorite show just dropped!" Ruy complained.

"Priorities, Ruy."

"But-" Ruy started, but I interrupted him.

"But nothing." With that, I stalked away. I could feel Ruy's glare on my back all the way until the elevator doors closed.

Seriously, could the staff have been a bit more experienced and hardworking?

My next stop was Gethen's office.

But just as I had been dreading, when I knocked on the door, he was nowhere to be found..

And there were many people waiting on the line.

After a while of waiting in there for him, Gethen finally came. He was pushing a cart and very out of breath.

"No time," He wheezed when I opened my mouth to talk. "Too many orders."

He grabbed the phone and a mini notebook.

"Hello, this is the concierge service. How can I help you?" Gethen waited for a beat. "Ok. That is 2 mini soaps and a box of tissues. There may be a long wait time. We are a tad bit understaffed right now. And there is a mini soap shortage. We may only be able to give you one. We apologize for the inconvenience." He waited for a beat. "Yes, I do understand that you paid a lot for this hotel. Just look at your lovely room while you wait." Gethen clicked the "hang up" button with gusto before clicking another button. "Hello, this is the concierge service. How can I help you?"

It went on for a while. Then Gethen loaded his cart and left.

Either we should hire more staff, or give Gethen a phone that he could travel with. But I didn't want to waste money on either.

"Alvar, would you mind answering the concierge phone as well as managing the front desk? Gethen will deliver the goods to the people. Hold the ones who want recommendations. Thanks!" I said over the walkie talkie.

"Hey–" I heard Alvar say before I pressed the mute button. His complaints could wait for another time. I had a hotel to run.