Chapter 10

Gisela's POV

My first thought was, Alvar WHAT?! He had been hiding this the whole time?

Part of me thought that was unforgivable. The other half felt bad for Alvar. I knew he was doing his best. And firing him might be a little bit much. Even in my book. And I was plenty ruthless.

"Fintan," I said carefully, "is there a chance you may be acting a bit rash?"

Fintan snarled. "Absolutely not!" I sighed at his response, annoyed.

"Just... cool off a second before you fire him, okay. Think about it first."

Fintan growled. It didn't seem like he wanted to "think about it." But I ignored him.

"See ya, Fintan!" I told him over my shoulder as I left. "Remember what I said!" I could hear Fintan grumbling behind me as I exited out the door.

Umber's POV

Alvar was coaching me today. After what seemed like the 100000000th time today, I had to sit through andpay attention to another sob story from a guest.

Thankfully, Alvar taught me a trick. It was a language that he called "Happy Guestian." The vocabulary mostly includes, "I'm glad you're enjoying your stay," "Yes," "Mhm," and "It is scenic around here, isn't it?" Alvar told me that you can tune out the guest and read a good book.

A guest plopped down at my desk that morning. Perfect timing to practice my new skill.

"What now?" I groaned, instantly forgetting to act polite. Uh, oh. This already wasn't going well for me.

The guest started to blab away, and I quickly opened my favorite book, The History Of Gisela.

Did you know that Gisela likes Skittles?

"...The room's soooo messsyyyyyy..." The guest blabbered on. "Mhm," I didn't look up from my book. Did you know that Gisela's favorite food is Mac and Cheese?

"...Last night, I woke up with a cockroach in my bed..." The guest continued.

"I'm glad you're enjoying your stay," I told the guest robotically.

"...This morning the toilet EXPLODED! There is dirty toilet water everywhere..."

"It is scenic around here, isn't it," I was starting to get tired of the guest's complaining. Couldn't I just have read my book in peace? I mean, how hard can it be to mop the floor? Talk about these guests being high maintenance.

"You know what," The guest exploded. "This little 'talk' did nothing for me. Why are you reading? I will rate this place ZERO STARS on Yelp. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Yes," I told them. I looked up and they were gone.

Funny.