Chapter 8

Brant's POV

[A/N: Taking a short break from whatever's going on with Alvar and Fintan. And behold, a POV from the kitchen (because I don't think I've done any before–right?)]

"The customers at Table Two want extra salt." Trix informed me. He meant the weird tiny crystal stuff, right? I searched the inside of each bag in the pantry until I found what I was looking for. Pulling it out, I tried a taste. Was salt supposed to be sweet? I guess I'd find out later. Maybe I'd finally get fired from this miserable place. It would be about time.

"Brant?" Trix asked, jolting me from my thoughts. "You gonna give it to the table?"

"Yes," I assured him with an eye roll. What was I going to do? Eat the salt myself? I mean, I was kinda tempted. But in my job, you had to make sacrifices. So sacrifices I would make.

So, I strutted into the dining area and dumped the person's salt on their food for them. But instead of showering me with thanks, as I had expected, they looked at me with distaste.

"Excuse me? What are you doing?" The guest asked in disgust.

"Giving you salt. Like you asked." I answered. How could it have been more obvious.

"I didn't ask for salt!"

"Clearly you're confused. I must escort you to your room." I informed them.

Trix must've snuck behind me when I wasn't looking, because he told me, "Table two asked for salt, not table three. Also, I'm pretty sure that was sugar."

I groaned. Turning to the table, I said, "Please don't tell Fintan." Then I scampered out of the room.

I went to the kitchen to work on another order. Burger and fries. So difficult. Why did people always have the most complex orders? Life was so unfair sometimes.

Sighing, I got started on the meal. Hopefully it wouldn't turn out as badly as that salt incident.

+++

"My compliments to the chef." I heard one of the customers say. I gasped. Was I improving? It was a true miracle. But then I heard the heartbreaking words of the person sitting across from him. "That Trix guy must really know what he's doing."

Someone else at their table said, "Really? I was quite unsatisfied by my meal."

"Oh, you must've gotten Brant."

"Darn. I'll request Trix next time."

I scoffed loudly, drawing attention from nearby diners. Not that I cared. I had been offended enough already. Trying to hold back a sob, I fled to the kitchens.

Ruy's POV

I left Fintan's office with my heart hammering. He had hinted that I might be in trouble for something. Had he found out that I'd been eating the complementary cookies from the freshly cleaned hotel rooms? Had the guests complained when they noticed the cookies were gone? Had Fintan found out? Sweat started to pool in the back of my neck. I wiped it away as quickly as I could. Fintan might still be watching.

"Ruy? Are you alright?" I looked up from my cart to see Gethen.

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. Yes. I'm fine!"

Gethen looked at me with a puzzled expression, but he let it go. "I've just been looking for some of those oat soaps. Have you seen them?"

"No. That's strange, come to think of it. Well, good to see you, Gethen. Bye!" With a forced smile, I half-walked, half-ran down the hallway. I could not have anyone becoming suspicious about the cookie conundrum. And the more I talked to people, the more risk I ran. It was definitely better to avoid.