Chapter 13

I ran outside to see if Mom and Charlie were still here, but their car was long gone. Julie came running behind me while out of breath.

"What are we going to do? Call the authorities?"

"Yes. Call them. She isn't getting away with this."

"Got it."

We walked back inside while Julie called the police. Then Olive started crying. I went over and picked her up. Luckily mom had left her diaper bag, so we had what we needed for a bit. I changed her diaper and then had Damon make her a bottle. She was very hungry and ate in my arms while we waited for the police to get there.

A few minutes later, they walked in and asked for Julie. She brought them over to me and they started talking.

"This is your little sister?"

"Yes."

"And your mother just left her here?"

"Yes."

"May we look in the bag and car seat to see if anything was left?"

"Of course."

I started rocking Olive to sleep as they looked through the things.

"Found it." One officer grabbed a paper and handed it to the other one.

She read it and sighed.

"Miss Y/N. This is Olive's birth certificate. It does say that your mother and that man are her parents, and that they've signed away their parental rights to you."

I sighed. "What does this mean?"

She continued. "You are the legal guardian of Olive. We can't do anything about it unless you'd like to give her up for adoption. You'll obviously have to sign some papers if you'd like to be her adoptive parent. Those are your only options."

I sighed. How could life change this much in just a few minutes?

---Hyunjin POV---

I was eating some kimchi pancakes when I felt sad for some reason. I decided to go to my bed and lay down for a few minutes. Then I suddenly started crying. Sobbing, even.

"Hyunjin?" Chan came in my room. "What's wrong?"

I turned to look at him. "I have no idea." I sniffled. "I'm not sad, but I can't stop crying."

He came over and hugged me. "It must be your soulmate. As they get closer to finding you, you guys become more connected. You've learned some skills that she has, and I'm assuming she's gotten something from you, as well. Since she's so close, you're feeling what she's feeling. And since you're so sad, it must be a very strong emotion."

"That can happen?"

"Yes. I saw it with my sister when she found her soulmate. He would often get mad when he couldn't find the person he needed to. She'd throw things around her room and yell. We didn't realize what was happening until we met him."

I kept crying. "Why is she so sad?" I looked up at him.

"I don't know. But hopefully you'll be able to cheer her up. Go do something that makes you happy. If it's a strong enough emotion, she should be able to feel it."

"Okay." I smiled at him. Then I went to the movie room and decided to watch my favorite movie, Hot Rod. I know it's in English, but it's too funny.

---Y/N POV---

I was sitting in my living room while Julie was getting me some water. Olive was asleep in her car seat. I could hear her lightly breathing, and it was oddly calming.