29

After Athena watched the kids and Bobby decorate the house, they all sat down on the couch to admire the shimmering lights around the house. Athena pulled Harry close to her and asked if he was okay and how his chin was feeling after the accident.

Harry informed his mother that his chin was okay, but the stitches were bothersome, and he couldn't scratch it.

Bobby got up from the couch and announced to the family that he would start cooking dinner. While he did so, Athena heard an iPad and went to retrieve it from the table next to the couch. Upon seeing that the call was from her mother, the speaker felt a wave of panic rush through her mind.

Bobby was in the kitchen when he heard the iPad ringing. He put the knife down, wiped his hands with a towel, and went back to the living room. There, he looked at Athena and asked about the identity of the caller.

Bobby at once noticed Athena's panicked expression and knew something was amiss. Athena confided in him that it was about her parents. Without hesitation, she grabbed the iPad and answered their call, concealing her baby bump. Athena's parents began complaining that she never called them anymore, but she didn't let them dominate the conversation. She stood her ground and responded assertively. When the conversation had dragged on for too long, Athena handed the iPad to her kids, and her mother's complaints ceased as she engaged in a genuine conversation with them.

She talked with the kids for a while and then asked if she could talk to her daughter again. The kids gave Athena the iPad back and the kids went into the kitchen and helped Bobby with dinner. I took a deep breath and picked up the iPad and only have my face shown on the screen. I put on a smile, so my parents didn't think anything was wrong. Then Athena's parents asked if Athena was coming home for her dad's birthday. There was a long pause, and her parents knew something was wrong. 

ATHENA 

her mom said. I took a deep breath before I spoke up and told them that we weren't able to come this year because of how busy work was. and that we had no time off. That was a lie, but my parents didn't need to know that I was pregnant because they would throw a big fit about me and my age.

After her parents got off the phone with Athena, they knew something was up. I looked at Samuel and said something up, she was not telling us something so Samuel and Beatrice decided to go out in a couple of weeks for Athena's birthday even though she told them that she wasn't going to be doing anything this year.

Once I got off FaceTime with my mom, I let out a breath, I knew my parents were calling for a reason, but I just didn't know why. Bobby looked at me and asked if I was ok and I said yeah. I told him that he could go back to cooking with the kids. I put the show back on and then I felt arms wrap around me and I saw it was May and Harry and that helped me calm down.