02 • tryst

c h a p t e r

02

tryst

m y r a

IT WAS LUNCH TIME.

Mira had brought us to a new cafe that had opened up near our campus in Washington. It had a fancy name that I couldn't pronounce, but the rich smell of sweetness and savoury items filled my nose right as we stepped inside.

Lily, our other friend, or more specifically Mira's friend, had tagged along because she wanted to try out the delicacies they too. The other girl removed her jacket and tossed it on the bench beside her as Lily took the seat next to me.

She was clad in black, too, with red lips and noticeably silver piercings on her ears. She had a total of eight as I counted and rubbed my helix unconsciously. During freshman year, drunk Lily had convinced drunk Myra to get her helix pierced, too.

It was a decision I had come to regret right after when the pain, as mentioned earlier, had stuck with me for three whole months, and I was forced to sleep still until it was the only way left.

I had a silver crescent pierced onto my right ear and hadn't really taken it off since I was a little scared of the pain, even though it had already been a year.

"Did you guys hear?" Lily beseeched while Mira ordered us a bunch of club sandwiches for the afternoon. It was supposedly a special.

"Well?" She prodded again, her eyes shining brightly at the newest piece of gossip that had entered her. If you wanted to know about the recent happenings, Lily was your go-to.

She had been detained for a year for being caught drinking in the dean's office and being an influential person; you can't be expelled. She was simply asked to rewrite the semester ends with us again.

"No, we haven't, Lily," Mira muttered, clearly disinterested, while she scrolled through her phone, her eyes narrowed in on the device.

"My goddamn sister can't lift her calls anymore. I wonder what she's up to?" Mira had an elder sister just like mine and was a famous model in Valencia.

"Anyways." Lily turned to me, realising she had my undivided attention, "Have you heard of the de la Garzas?"

The name rang a bell in my mind, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact place in my memories. The same couldn't be said for Mira, however.

"How do you know the de la garzas?" She asked, her phone shoved somewhere far away as she leaned into the table. Her attention was piqued, which meant this man or the family did have something worthwhile in the eyes of Mirabelle Sanchez.

"Girl, you better be kidding right now!" Lily grinned, "Nicolás de la Garza is a sophomore in our college. He's coming back to complete his final year!"

Her eyes widened at the newest piece of information as I stored it for later. Clearly, they were someone huge enough for even the likes of us to be wary of.

Lily was the daughter of a senator.

"He goes here?" Mira demanded, something in her features twisted, but she bit her lip instead, reining her emotions in. You would miss it in the blink of an eye, but it was familiar to me.