03 • descry

c h a p t e r

03

descry

n i c o l á s

FATE WAS A CRUEL MISTRESS.

In a life that was so mundane and insignificant, fate brought out the most unpredictable things possible and laughed at you in its face.

For me? I liked to be on the other side of the fence. I enjoyed a game of fate, I thrived in it, and most of all, I prospered in manipulating it for my tastes. So when the fate of Myra Chaudhary fell right into my palm, who was I to deny her the humour of gods?

Myra Chaudhary.

She was the youngest daughter of Raja Vikranth Chaudhary of western India, modern-day Maharashtra and Gujarat. He may not be adorned in his jewels and bedazzling heritage, but the legacy of his ancestors was something you simply couldn't erase from history.

In the world of socialites, you know everyone and everything about them. His entry into Spain was a mere coincidence, but he fell right into our radars the moment he had married Valeria Cruz, making his mark in our lands.

He may be trying to expand his business into Spain but forgets whose soil he had walked into. Spain wasn't a no-man-lands ready to conquer for just anyone.

Everyone in the underworld knew of its true ruler, and they knew better than to anger them.

I, personally, had no animosity towards Mr. Chaudhary. He seemed to be a good businessman and an excellent investment to have, but as an asset for a personal vendetta? He was a jewel.

What better way to manipulate a man than to bring him to his knees for his daughter? According to my research, they weren't on good terms with the elder one, who had simply forfeited the whole thing and rendered herself useless.

However, fate calling me back to Knightson and my ball hitting the said girl in the very face made a dark chuckle roll out of me.

"What?" asked Keith from beside me as we walked through the corridor. Keith was the least annoying of the many people who flocked to me, including some of the professors here.

"Nothing," I replied, too quick.

The face of Myra Chaudhary had buried itself deep inside my mind. The way her doe eyes sat atop her flushed cheeks drew out something from within I wasn't even aware of—the image of her frail little self burnt behind my eyes.

She wasn't anything like I had expected.

Whereas Aliya Chaudhary was loud and brash and the topic of canards for everyone for her dishonourable reputation, there was little to nothing on Myra.

Finding a timid girl with a chilled look of indifference was the last thing in my head.

I watched Keith head towards the locker room while I tagged along. Our semester had finally begun last week in January, and Coach Willis waited no time to recruit us back into the team.