27 • welter

c h a p t e r

27

welter

n i c o l á s

I EYED THE HORSES.

The Thoroughbred stallion, with its rich brown fur that glistened against the sun, neighed at whatever the jockey had to say or do.

I think his name was Mat, something my primo came up with when he was young. Horse racing wasn't something that ever intrigued me, but it was a place where socialites and influential men gathered to share information and form connections.

A perfect place for me to bring my fiancée to.

Being arms in arms with my supposed fiancée to keep up an act of business was far more taxing than before. It was almost repulsive.

Joan Edguardo was a dutiful daughter who believed her destiny was whatever her father wanted. She didn't bat an eye when her father came forward with an arrangement that secured him with the de la Garzas and me, with my improved qualifications for the role of the Don.

Being married for the betterment of the Nuestra Familia aided me in more ways than it should. Being the heiress to a diamond fortune solidified ends that had been tapering.

Pedro and Mateo had nothing on Joan until Mateo decided to fucking wed the President's daughter, of course. Now, she was just a means to an end.

"Your stallion is beautiful." Of course, she knew about the de la Garza champion.

"He's my brother's horse," I replied, slipping my arms away before tugging her towards a group of people who could keep me occupied.

Carmen Alamilla jerked his head towards our approaching figures, not before nudging his socialite wife, Maya Alamilla. She adjusted her hat before turning to greet us with a smile so warm yet so fake.

Qué mujer tan guapa!" She exclaimed, rushing to clutch Joan's arm, "A lucky man indeed."

[ Spanish. What a beautiful woman!]

And that was for me.

Sure, Joan was a beauty to behold, with lush brown locks that complimented well with her olive skin and bright blue eyes. My supposed fiancée blushed pink, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth to hide a blooming smile for taking over her features.

Her lips were plumped, but it only drew me to a memory of lips that were far more sinister than saintly. They were pulled up in a smile before they crushed mine and slender fingers that got lost in my hair.

The feel of Myra Chaudhary in my arms, the way her body folded perfectly under mine, kept the thoughts in my mind impure and savage.

She did send me texts about the plan, but I was just too busy with the arrival of Joan and her father to drift anywhere further away. Keeping them happy was my sole purpose at the moment.

I mustn't be deterred from my original goal.

It was to acquire the Rakt Hira and gain the position of the Don. And considering the volatility of Myra, I needed to work fast. The façade of a fake girlfriend was already weak, and with the appearance of Joan, it was almost too brittle.

But the thought of Myra arching under me rushed blood to my groin again.

I thought fucking Myra out of my system would finally calm the heat in my blood, but it only roared louder for another taste, a forbidden flavour of mistakes and nightmares.