16 • relinquish

A/N

Didn't necessarily cry but I had a hard time writing this chap,
also I kinda ran out of already written chapters to post? With college breathing down my neck and all, so I will be taking a break from updating this week
See you in the next one!

༝༚༝༚

c h a p t e r

16

relinquish

m y r a

MY GUT TOLD ME SOMETHING WAS WRONG.

The apprehension of an uncertain future was gnawing at my insides as a heavy knot buried itself in the hollow of my chest. 

I didn't know what it was, but it was there lingering in the background, preying on my nerves, lurking and waiting.

"Did you forget something?" I asked Mira, who had just finished rolling her hair. She was clad in a black top with a halter neckline and washed-out shorts held together by a belt.

She turned to me, mascara in her hand and motioning me to take a seat, "Forget what?"

I sat down in front of her as she worked on my eyes. Tonight, the students had organised a bonfire near the outskirts of the city, beside the woods, in order to celebrate the completion of the semester. The exams had taken up all of our time, as we were not letting a breath of distraction peek in.

"Like anything in general?" I parted my lips as she painted them peach. It appeared beautiful against the tan of my skin while she shifted to the highlighter next.

"Did we forget to invite Lily?" She mused, "Even if we did, that bitch will show up to a party regardless."

We both chuckled at that.

I eyed her from the reflection of the mirror in front of us. Her brows were knitted together in concentration as I let the shoe drop.

"So Sinister?" I began as she snapped her eyes to me in the reflection. Her hands stopped whatever they were doing as she froze in time.

"I mean, you don't have to say anything." I quickly added, uncomfortable with the sudden silence that filled the space between us. After a while, her stance relaxed as she worked her way through my hair.

"His name is Sebastian." She muttered, still concentrating on the task at hand, but I could tell she was reminiscing.

"Alright." I replied when I realised that's the most she was going to offer, and considering Mira and her ability to open up to people, it was a lot.

"We hooked up a few months back, but I didn't know where he was until I saw him in that cage fighting. I don't know how but the moment I stepped into that room, I just knew?"

I didn't let that new piece of information budge me but Mira opening up so easily about something was never really a norm. I bit my lip from speaking out, soaking in whatever she had left for me as I singled it all into a nod.

"Don't move." She tutted and fixed my head, "Care to explain the hickeys on your neck?"

I chanced a glance at my flawless neck, that had been marked by bruises weeks ago, as my cheeks flushed crimson in response. If my time with Nicolás had to be described in one word, it would be perplexing.