Prologue

Tw: Women, I'm sure you understand what I mean with this: being told how to be "ladylike", weight shaming.

Black hair coiled tightly above her head, hands clasped in front of her, and a soft smile on her face, Karina Barlow was the picture of elegance; everything a lady should be. She was everything her parents had told her to be, time and time again.

So her smile never faded in the duration of the meeting, not even when her mother patted her head and told the room that Karina was so clumsy and would somehow hurt herself.

She never slumped, not even when her father remarked on her weight, or when her mother agreed with him. Instead she briefly glanced at the Kel Dor Jedi Master in the corner of the room before staring down at her lap.

She waited until they were finished talking before letting herself be dragged from the room, back to her personal quarters.

Then she stared blankly at the ceiling and waiting for the sting of tears to come.

But they never did.

Instead her mother came in and chastised her for being too quiet, brushing her hair roughly. Her mother told her that while they debated joining the Republic, she'd be guarded so no one assassinated her.

She looked at her mother's eyes in the mirror and smiled, nodding along.