At least it's not money you want

Every day is worse than the previous. I come to work for usually several hours more than planned, then I come home and eat something low in nutrition and go to bed, only to wake up to go to work again.

At least it pays well. I really need the money.

As I'm wrapping up for the day, my coworker approaches. He's been doing that for a while now. He just comes to me at the end of every workday, and watches me, without saying anything.

It's weird, but a little attention never hurt anyone. Especially not a corporate slave like myself, who craves for someone to distract them from the horrors of these walls.

I make eye contact with him, and he smiles. It reminds me that he still hasn't come to retrieve his lighter. Maybe he's waiting for me to give it to him?

I quickly pack my things before I head towards him, rummaging through my pockets for the lighter on the way.

"Oh, I thought I had your lighter..." I must've left it at home.

"Good evening, newbie! How has your experience at our company been up till now?" My coworker doesn't seem to care about the lighter.

He's ignoring me, so I ignore him too. "I'll give it back tomorrow." I nod at him, and walk past him.

He turns me around by the shoulder. "Hey, don't ignore me. Are you in a hurry or something?"

"Not really–"

"I recently got a promotion, you know?" My coworker exclaims, letting go of my arm and walking towards the exit, waiting for me to join him. "My hard work pays off every time!"

I proceed to walk with him, knowing he won't leave me alone, not for all the gold in the world. He continues to boast about himself, and his achievements, and his expensive clothes.

"You go to work by foot?" He asks. "I can give you a ride, if you want."

I stand still, recalling all of the pain and suffering my job has brought me for the past week. It's Friday, and a ride home in an expensive car would definitely improve my mood.

"Are you sure?" I'm not going to lie, I really want that ride.

"Yeah, get in." He pulls me to his car and opens the passenger's door for me.

I hadn't noticed we were standing right next to his car. It's a long, cream white and shiny sedan. At least... that's what I believe. I've never had a vehicle.

I slowly step in, and by the time I've closed the door, he has already started it up.

"So, where do you live?" He smiles at me.

I hesitantly tell him my address, and watch him type it into his GPS. "Wow, that far! You walk this distance twice a day? You must be healthy as a horse!"

I laugh awkwardly, and fasten my seatbelt. "Yeah..."

The whole way there, my coworker keeps bragging about how awesome he is for giving me a ride, and that I should be lucky he's in a good mood.

I take my time to examine his car. Clean, white seats, and spotless windows. There's no trash in the door pockets, and the speakers on the sides are dustless. He takes great care of his car, for someone as messy as himself.

"Nice car," I interrupt him. He stops talking immediately. "My neighbours will think I'm in some kind of mob, when they see me getting out of this."

I'm not sure why I'm being nice to him. I suppose it's because he was nice enough to me for once, and I felt pityingly.

He starts laughing loudly. So loudly, in fact, that I have to cover my ears. It's so fake, but at least he's trying to humour me.

He parks in front of my apartment building, occupying two parking spots with his giant sedan. I thank him, smile warmly, and get out. When I close the door, I notice he's left his car as well. I look at him in confusion.

"You wanted to give me my lighter back, didn't you?"

"Ah, right." He follows me into the building, and keeps making negative comments on the stairwell, as we walk up. After a few flights of stairs, he shuts up from exhaustion, and I enjoy the rest of the way to my apartment.

"Why is there... No elevator here..." He pants.

I unlock my door and walk in, in search of the lighter. My place is a mess, and I pray that he waits at the front door, but alas, he enters my room right after me.

I go throught my drawers, find the lighter and give it to him. "Here." I start tidying my desk up in the meantime.

He takes it and immediately checks the fuel chamber. "Wow, you haven't used up anything. You must've wanted to keep it as a souvenir, heh!"

He takes a cigarette. "I'll have a smoke now."

"Ehh... go to the balcony, please." I point to large curtains at the other side of the apartment. They're covering a full wall window, and the door to the balcony. I don't like going there, or looking in that direction.

"Hm..." Before he lights his cigarette, he takes it out of his mouth and puts it behind my ear. "Then I'll smoke once I've left." He crosses his arms and leans against the doorframe.

I take the cigarette and throw it in my drawer. "Then... leave?" I suggest.

"Notevenathankyou," he mutters under his breath, pouting.

"What?"

"You didn't thank me for the ride."

"I... did. Thanks for the ride."

"But that wasn't enough." My coworker rolls his eyes and scratches the back of his head, playing dumb.

I sigh, and fix my glasses. "Alright, then, what do you want me to do?"

"Let's see... what about..."

He thinks, looking up and down my person. "Hmm..."

I want to start talking, but eventually, he answers: "a kiss."

I exhale. A shiver runs down my spine, triggering every single nerve in my body. "What?"

He fiddles with his suit. "It's only fair. I gave you a free ride, so..." He pulls a mild, almost unnoticable smirk.

I shrug, pulling him down by his tie. "At least it's not money you want."

I give him a peck on the cheek and release him. "Good enough?"

"Yep, perfect." He pulls away, cupping the cheek I kissed with his hand. "See you on Monday!"

"Have a good night, weirdo." I wave at him as he walks out the front door and closes it.

My coworker is so weird.