I've never really thought about that

Some vegetables... some beef... some bread...

I watch my coworker throw various products in his basket. He's humming a song, or something...

"Do you want sweets, or anything?" He asks me, out of a sudden.

I shake my head. "no, thank you. Did you think of something?"

"I have a recipe book at home. I'm just going to buy random ingredients I think we'll use."

I nod.

Yeah. This is awkward. I'm just walking around the store, following him like a puppy. "...Do you have any plans this week?"

The way he fixes his hair is tying my stomach in knots. "Nope, and even if I had any, they would've probably been with you. Are you suggesting something?"

I redden at his response. "Ah, no, I'm just trying to get a conversation going..."

He looks so handsome in the supermarket's lighting... "Oh, I almost forgot to ask you: will you spend Christmas with me?"

I gasp. "I don't celebrate Christmas. Besides, it's still autumn."

He shakes his head and smiles. "We don't have to go all out. I just want you to be with me during Christmas."

I can't surpress my smile, and grin from ear to ear. "Yeah. Of course... I will."

He bows slightly, inviting me to walk beside him, instead of behind him. To my surprise, he wraps his arm around my waist, and pulls me close, before approaching the checkout counter.

The guy manning it is clearly just as embarrassed as I am. "Cash or card?"

"Cash." He casually pulls a £50 note out of his pocket, and gives it to the cashier, waiting for his change. I can't surpress a bit of blush, and cover my cheeks with my hand.

"Uh... would you like... a bag for these..?"

"Yes," he answers.

He releases me, and we pack the products in the plastic bag, before leaving swiftly.

"I told you something... Why can't you listen..?!" I scoff.

"I just can't restrain myself..."

"That's..!" I gasp, "I told you, not in public..."

"But if it's not in public, then there's no point," he pouts. "I want to show people you're with me."

I yelp. "I-Isn't just standing next to you enough..?"

"In a way... it is," he leans in to my face, "but... I want to do more." He holds my chin still, and places a wet smooch on my cheek. I wipe my face right after.

"Right..."

He throws the groceries in the back, and we get in his car again, to drive to his place this time.

I take another cupcake, and much on it disrespectfully. It makes my coworker wheeze. "Oh, what's wrong? Did I hurt your feelings?"

I squint my eyes at him. "Pffft. Feelings? You must be kidding," I say, in a sarcastic voice.

We arrive at his place. It takes us two trips to bring all of our stuff inside. Once we finally close the door, I go straight to the bedroom, to unpack my clothes. My coworker follows me.

"Where do I keep my clothes?"

He hangs the suits next to his own, and opens an empty drawer for me. "You don't have a lot, so I think one drawer will be enough for now."

"Mm, yeah–"

He bumps my shoulder with his arm, and strokes my nape, twirling the hair on my neck. "Then, I'll go make us something to eat. Do come quickly!" He leaves.

I unpack my clothes, and take my suit off. I hang it over another one, and put something comfortable on.

I come to the kitchen, and walk up to him. "What are you making?"

"Beef stew. Take a knife, and chop the carrots for me, please."

I take the knife that's on the counter, and chop the carrots that are on the chopping board, in a steady, rhythmic movement. My coworker is browning the beef in the meantime.

He steals a piece of carrot and puts it in his mouth. "Mmh, carrot."

He pushes another piece between my teeth. "Try it."

I bite down. "Carrot."

"Carrot."

"Should I chop the onions too?"

"Yeah."

I take a glass from a cabinet, fill it with water, and put it next to the chopping board, before placing the onions next to it, and taking the knife.

"Why the glass?"

"The water will absorb the chemical that causes the eyes to tear up." I start cutting the onions.

I do feel slight irritation in my eyes, but I don't have to cry. It works quite well.

"You're really smart, you know," he acknowledges.

"Eh... thank you, but it's not really a smart-people-thing."

"Aside from chopping onions, I mean. You're smart in general."

I shake my head around in embarrassment. "Thanks..."

He just keeps going. "You're smart, polite, modest, hardworking and... very attractive too. I'm surprised no one's ever asked you out."

"Please stop–"

"It's as if you've just recently mysteriously appeared on the face of the earth, and no one's gotten to know you yet, or no one's ever dared to confess to you, because you're so out of their league."

I burst. "Don't get ahead of yourself. There are many people like me out there. I'm really not that special." I try to continue slicing the vegetables, but I'm way too shaky.

my coworker pushes his nose in my neck, and rubs my back. "Would you... accept anyone? I mean: you clearly don't have any experience, so you probably don't have high standards either."

I scoff. "Yeah, sure," I respond, sarcastically, and I try to answer somehow, thereafter. "I've never really thought about that."

"Is there someone you're thinking of right now?" He asks.

My mind seems empty, but subconsciously, there is one person constantly on it. The first person who made me feel loved and nervous at the same time. The first person to awaken positive feelings in me.

The first one to carefully knead my untouched, hardened heart into a handful of tiny flower seeds, and regularly water them until they bloom... fragrantly, and vibrantly, like a field of blossom.

Love can be deceiving, but regardless, it's always worth it. You either grow, or fall to ground, but even from the lowest point, there's no other way besides up. The investments you lose are reversible, and the memories you win, are permanent.

The pit of love is never bottomless.

I don't know much, but I know one thing: that I'd never say no to him.

And I'm thinking of him, always, but especially, right now.

"...You."