Is my place even on the way to yours?

The next Monday at work starts off much better than the previous week. It's giving me a bit of hope. I haven't talked with anyone about work-unrelated things since the time my coworker and I were stuck in the elevator, so regardless of the fact that it was him, yesterday was a pleasant experience.

Nothing special happened in the weekend, but I expect my coworker to visit my cubicle during a break and brag about something... anything. To be honest, I just wish for him to talk to me. I'm not a very social person, but this job is killing me, and any distraction would be welcome...

"Newbie!"

There it is.

"How was your weekend?"

I stare at him in silence, waiting for him to brag... but he doesn't. I pull an awkward smile.

"How. Was. Your. Weekend~" He doesn't budge.

"This is a question?"

"Yeah!" He lounges on the wall of the cubicle.

I tilt my head. "Eh... it was fine. What about yours?"

"I'm great, how'd you know? Now that I think of it, I don't have your number!" He hands me a sticky note. "Write it on here."

I hesitantly grab the note and place it on my desk. I check my drawers.

"Do you have a pen?"

"Yeah!" My coworker hands me a luxurious looking pen. "It's my expensive Signature Edition Prestige Infinitum rollerball pen. You'll fall in love with it on first sign!"

I want to kill him for that pun, but I succesfully restrain myself.

I write my number on the sticky note, and agree with him about the pen.

I lift the note and the pen in one hand behind me, and continue typing on my computer with the other. "Here. And yeah, the pen is comfortable."

He takes the note from my hand, but leaves the pen. "You can keep this one, I have plenty."

"...Heh, thanks!" It's probably either almost empty, or one of the crappy pens in his collection. But, one man's rubbish is another man's treasure!

He walks away with a "Ciao!" and I continue working, before I hear my flip phone buzz, a few moments later.

"Is this the right number?"

I reply with a "yeah" and save my coworker as Weirdo. I don't want to use my phone on the job, so I ignore him further.

When the second break starts, I check my phone first. Weirdo is asking to meet in the breakroom.

When I arrive there, a hot cup of coffee and an annoying colleague await me. I greet him and take a sip of the ...rather delectable beverage. It's clearly made to taste, not to wake.

There are a few more people in the dimly lit breakroom besides them. It's a pleasant room to be in, compared to all the other bright yellow walls that strain my eyes.

"Thanks for the coffee." I hold the mug in both my hands.

"No problem! I'm an expert at making delightful coffee." He smirks.

I'd agree with him, if it weren't for that smug face of his. He makes me want to puke sometimes...

"Do you want a ride today too?" He asks me, as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

"Is my place even on the way to yours?" I swear I remember him driving away in a different direction.

"Nope, but I'm feeling generous!" He puts his arms on his hips. "Yes or no?"

"Oh, sure, if it's not a bother to you, I'd love to get a ride..." I respond, dumbfoundedly.

My coworker smiles at me, and shortly after, the break ends. I go back to work, and several hours later, it's finally time. I grab my stuff and get ready to leave, but when I turn around, I find my coworker.

He picks me up in the air, and puts me in a shoulder carry, with my face pointing towards the ground. The ground. The ground! The ground is so far away! "Put me down, this isn't funny!"

"No, you were taking too long so I came to pick you up, haha!"

"Quit your punning and put me down!" I start throwing my legs in the air and I pierce my nails in his back.

"Jee, okay." He puts me down, and once I turn around, I realise I'm already at the exit. How fast does this dude walk?! I sigh.

He grabs me by the arm and pulls me out. "If you want me to give you rides, you better hurry up!" He laughs.

"Just– d-don't do that ever again!" I sound angry, but I can't hold back a smile either.

We get in the car, still laughing. When I close the door, and my coworker starts up his sedan, we finally calm down. We get on the road, chat a little, and I finally realise, that... his hand is on my thigh.

...I shouldn't mention it.

He breaks the silence. "Hey, you know, I'm hosting a drinking party this Friday. I was thinking about inviting you and our other colleagues–"

"No, thank you. I don't like parties."

"...Your loss." He pouts. His suave demeanor weakens. "Why not?"

"I just don't like big crowds." And my coworker alone is an equivalent of a big crowd. It's exhausting as is.

He laughs. "well, you can come anytime, if you change your mind." He turns to the street, and parks in front of my apartment building.

I open the car door and step out. I wave to him through the window after I close the door, and wait for him to drive away. My neighbour calls me, once he departs.

"Hey, you!"

"Eh? Oh, hi ma'am. What's wrong?"

The lady walks up to me, trying to catch a glimpse of the car I just got out of. "Who was that?" She's smiling.

I attempt to leave, but she keeps budging me. "Was that your uber? I've seen him drop you off last week!"

"It's... my colleague," I answer uncomfortably. I've been living here for long enough, to know she likes rich guys. "He gave me a ride, is all."

She nudges me by the shoulder. "Is it your boyfriend? You're a lucky one!"

"What– No! He's not– I-I'm not gay..." I speed up my pace.

"Oh, come on~ Is he single, then?"

"I... I think so," I respond, and quickly walk inside my apartment and shut the door. That neighbour hasn't talked to me much, but I'm aware she has some weird obsession with... men. Homosexual men.

It makes me shiver. I slide down against the front door, and exhale heavily as I reach the ground, throwing my head to the back. Why do I live and work in a place full of freaks?!