It's a surprise~

The next day, the second we stepped into our home after work, I got persuaded to pack my backpack with daily essentials and a minimal amount of clothes, as though we were going on some hiking trip. I presumed it was for the weekend, so I just did what my boyfriend told me to do.

And... now, I'm awkwardly standing by the front door, wearing a pair of jeggings and trainers, waiting for further commands, since I have no idea what I'm doing. "Are we going somewhere?"

Unlike me, he has a duffel bag full of canned foods, cooking utensils and water, as well as some blankets, books and his own essentials. It's likely that we're staying somewhere overnight. Well, it's obvious.

"No, we're staying at home," he answers sarcastically. "Of course we're going somewhere. It's a surprise though~" he leans in to me for a kiss... but dodges my face in the last second and squeezes my ass instead, shocking me to death.

I hate him. I want him dead so bad. And that's exactly why I pull his face into mine by his ears and smooch him as a punishment. "Don't do that."

"You look good in these clothes though."

"You say that every time I wear something different," I whine, wrapping my arms around his neck. I press my nose between his tiddies and exhale loudly. "I don't know where we're going, but if it's overseas, I didn't grab my passport yet..."

"Don't worry, you won't need one."

I let him lead me outside and into his car, and shortly afterwards, we depart. 

It's a long ride. I'm starting to get bored, to be fair. And I still have no idea where we're going.

"You look stressed," I point out. My boyfriend is so pale, the colour of his skin matches his sclerae. He seems to be on the verge of vomiting. That's... weird.

"I'm not stressed," he assures. "I'm just thinking of something."

"Of what?"

"It's a surprise~"

How annoying. Well, too bad. I'm not going to take care of him, if he doesn't want to tell me what's wrong. His loss.

We pull into a parking lot that leads to a few stores. A furniture store, a clothes store, and an outdoors store. I can vaguely speculate what he's planning, but I'm not going to. I'll let him surprise me when he's ready.

He starts talking, before even exiting his car. ...Here it goes. "I know it was meant to be a surprise, but because I don't have any camping supplies, I'll just take you with me to buy some." He chuckles.

What an idiot... "We're going camping?"

"Yeah! I rented a cabin and a few acres around it, all for us to use. It's quiet, grassy and buggy in there..." His last words trail off in a squeak.

I have to laugh. So that's why he was acting so weird... "But you hate nature! Why would you take me there?"

"We spend enough time in the city as is," he states. "It's time to do something for you enjoy."

What a sweetheart. I can feel my cheeks flushing already.

We finally exit the car, and enter the outdoors store. It's a large building, so there aren't many people crowding around us. We can look around freely without rushing.

Although, said sweetheart only follows me around, even though I don't know the exact details of where we're going, hence don't know what we should buy. "Can you specify what we need?"

"B-B-B-B-Bug repellent..." he stammers.

"...What about lanterns or flashlights?"

"Yeah." He seems uninterested. ...What a disappointment.

And so I start walking around the store, looking for any tools we might need, as he's following me like a puppy. He, again, doesn't care what I take from the shelves. ...This is so awkward...

"Are we staying there all weekend?" I ask.

"Yeah," he replies, plainly.

I think we have everything we need, so I lead him to the checkout counter so he can pay, before running out of the building as fast as possible.

I though I was going to suffocate from the awkwardness in there...

He's not really paying attention to me the rest of the way, but... I can't really blame him. We are, after all, going to spend the entire weekend in nature. How awful, isn't it?!

Half an hour or so passes, and we're finally at the campground: a large forest with tall trees that's surrounded by a metal fence with barbed wire on top of it. Would there be large, dangerous animals here..?

Anyway, my boyfriend doesn't want to get his car covered in mud, so we get the bags and tools out of the boot and approach the office.

I wait at the entrance as he pays and gets our permits and keys.

"You're with... him?" The attendant behind the counter asks. He points to me, so I walk up and stand next to my boyfriend.

"Yeah," we both answer.

"You're... gay?" He seems surprised.

Wait... are we gay? Hold on... I did refer to us as homosexuals, but being in a relationship with someone of the same sex doesn't immediately make me gay, right..?

My boyfriend rescues the situation. "We're in a relationship, yes."

The man seems up for a pleasant chat. "Really? Do you mind me asking how it happened?" He's smiling warmly the entire time.

Oh boy... how did it happen? "Why do you ask?"

"Well, it's not everyday that you see two men in a relationship. I'm just curious about how you two ended up in one."

Thinking about it makes me nervous.

...And my boyfriend comes to rescue all of us again with his short speech. "We just hung out a lot, and..." he puts his arm around my shoulders, "...it just happened!" He shrugs. I do too.

All three of us laugh.

"You two seem like nice young men. I hope it lasts," he winks. "Here are your permits."

He hands us each one permit and gives my boyfriend the keys, then waves to us, gesturing that our business here is done and we can enter the campground. I feel slightly embarrassed, but in general, he seems to be a nice person.

Before we exit, he yells one more thing: "the bed is old! Don't break it!"

I bury my face in my hands in shame and run outside, alongside my idiot giggling boyfriend.

Did he absolutely have to say that?!