Sleepless Nights

I wake up to our twelve month old daughter crying. Alex who's lying next to me lets out a groan rolling onto his back. I turn on the light on my nightstand blinking a few times to adjust to the lighting. Alex puts his arm over his eyes to shield himself from the light. I get up and walk to our daughter's room her cries getting louder with every step I take. I push the door open the night light shining bright enough to see where I'm going. I walk over to the crib where Elsie is sitting up in her sleep sack crying. I pick her up and lightly bounce her up and down to soothe her. I giver her a kiss on the head feeling that it is warmer than normal. With a still crying baby in my arms I make my way back into Alex and I's bedroom. Alex is now wide awake taking her from me into his arms.

"Shhh, daddy's here," he whispers holding her head with one hand the other under her bum. He caresses her head giving it light kisses.

I walk into the bathroom rummaging through the cabinets trying to find a thermometer and some medicine. I walk back to find that Elsie stopped crying. She looks up at Alex with reddened eyes though smiling while Alex smiles back whispering something to her. 

After I took Elsie's temperature just to find out she has fever I give her some medicine which she doesn't like and starts crying again. I try everything to get her to sleep bouncing her up and down, walking around the room, sitting in the rocking chair but nothing works. Alex who got back into bed and tried to sleep for the last forty five minutes comes over to me.

"Hand her over and I give it a try okay?"

I hand her over to Alex and he kisses me on the forehead.

"Try to sleep a little my love," he says.

I practically fall into the bed and immediately my eyes close. I wake up not to a crying baby but because it is so quiet. I look around. Great not even ten minutes of sleep. Alex is still standing in the bedroom bouncing up and down his back turned to me. I get up and walk up behind him putting my chin on his shoulder and my arms around his waist.

"Darling you're supposed to be asleep," he says turning his head to look at me.

"So are you my love," I whisper kissing his jaw.

I look down into Alex's arms where Elsie is fast asleep.

"She's such a daddy's girl. I tried for almost one hour to get her to sleep and you didn't even need ten minutes," I scoff.

"What can I say. But honestly she was asleep after three minutes or so I was just to scared she would wake up once I put her down," he chuckles.

"Nah, she won't wake up. She's a deep sleeper... just like her daddy," I giggle.

We walk over to our bed placing Elsie in the middle us getting in on either side of her. I turn off the light and turn to face Alex. I can't fall asleep immediately. I think about earlier and the way Elsie admired her daddy. I just know I choose the right man to be the father of my child. Seems like Alex couldn't sleep as well because after a few minutes he breaks the silence.

"You know, there is no one else in the world that I would want to have sleepless nights with. I know how frustrated you must feel when she does not stop crying when you try everything. I promise you you are doing an absolutely amazing job, never forget that. I love you so so so much," he whispers stroking my cheek.

I sniffle because I'm overcome with emotion.

"Thank you Al, that means a lot. I love you both so much."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a short one but I think really cute.
Let me know what you think.

~ Em Xx