Chapter 4 New opportunity

'Every sunset is an opportunity to reset. Every sunrise begins with new eyes."

                                           ~RICHI NORTON

~~!!Devika vyas pov!!~~
--------------------------
-------------

"Utho beta," a gentle shake roused me, and as my eyes opened, I found myself in an unfamiliar setting.

A woman in her 40s sat nearby, likely the one who had woken me, and the bus conductor stood beside her. Both regarded me with an inexplicable curiosity, as if I were a ghost. Really, was I?

"Jii kahiye," I responded, attempting to shake off my drowsiness.

"Aapko Bhopal jaana hai na?" inquired the bus conductor.

"Haan bhaiya," I replied, momentarily puzzled since I already had an Indore to Bhopal ticket.

"Madam, Bhopal aane vala hai. Aap agar soyi rahenge to vo aake chala bhi jaega," the conductor advised.

"Point hai," I acknowledged, hastily tying my open hair into a bun.

Upon reaching Bhopal, I gathered my belongings and stepped off the bus.

The early morning sunlight revealed it was around 6 am, a significant contrast to the 2 am departure when the cab driver left me at the bus stop.

"Dayannnn," a familiar voice interrupted my thoughts, and I rolled my eyes at her.

It was none other than my best friend, Ranjini Banerjee.

"Jini, don't call me Dayan," I retorted, approaching her for a warm hug. We embraced tightly, having been separated for six months.

"You missed me?" I teased.

"Yay, why wouldn't I? You are my bhalabasa," she replied, using the Bengali term for love.

Though initially confusing, I had grown accustomed to such endearing expressions, thanks to both divine intervention and Google baba.

"Let's go home, dayaan," she suggested, gripping my hand and attempting to usher me along. However, I resisted.

"I won't," I declared, halting in my tracks.

"Why not?" she inquired, genuine surprise coloring her expression.

"Because," I began, listing my reasons methodically.

"Firstly, you guys eat fish, and I'm strictly vegetarian. Secondly, I don't want to impose on you and your family. And thirdly, I've already planned everything, including my accommodation at a rented place."

She rolled her eyes, a familiar reaction to my whims.

"You know I love you, right?" I reminded her.

"Fine, but are you okay with living in a rented house? It seems out of character for the Devika Vyas princess," she expressed genuine concern.

"You know all my reasons," I replied, and she nodded in understanding.

"Is it safe for you to live alone?" she asked, her concern shifting to my well-being.

"Do you think any man can touch me without my permission? If he tries, it's his last day on this earth," I declared with confidence.

She for a second appeared shocked, and I followed her gaze to my cheeks.

"It's not that he slapped you." she asked me.

"If I break his hand, how would he sign divorce papers?" I retorted, trying to inject humor into the situation, but she didn't seem amused.

"I promised mom that I cannot harm his family due to my short-tempered anger," I explained, and she nodded in understanding.

"But maybe I can harm him if I am in Indore." she mused.

"Where is your rented house? Give me the address," she requested, sarcasm lacing her tone.

"Nishatpura, Ayodhya Bypass," I informed her, and she grinned like a fool.

"WHAT?" I exclaimed, and she gave me a knowing look.

" it's just a walking distance from my apartment," she revealed.

We headed to my rented home, and to my relief, Ranjini acknowledged that it wasn't as dreadful as she had initially imagined. I assured her they provided essential furnishings – a fridge, almirah, and TV.

As she asked about rent and whether I paid it from my bank account, I hesitated to respond.

"Don't ask me," I finally whispered.

She sighed, understanding my predicament, and gently placed her hand on my arm.

"I can't.," I admitted, prompting a shocked look from Ranjini as she took a seat on the sofa, placing her hand on her head.

"Yaar, please understand. I don't want to cover my expenses with Papa's money. I want to become independent," I explained, expecting a mix of disbelief and amusement.

"You lazy thing, how do you plan to earn when you can't even be bothered to get water after a meal because it involves walking?" she taunted, highlighting my penchant for comfort.

"It's time for a change, baby" I insisted, prompting another eye roll from Ranjini.

"Okay, I'm heading home. Do your thing, and when you're tired, go ahead and cover your expenses with your father's money," she teased before leaving.

Just as I thought she had concluded her visit, she returned with what seemed like important news.

"Hey, I have good news for you," she declared.

Excitement bubbled within me as I playfully speculated, "What, are you pregnant? Oh God, who's the father of this child? Wow, I become Massi."

"Idiot!" she exclaimed, her irritation evident.

"What?" I innocently questioned, detecting anger in her eyes.

"Am I married? How can I be pregnant?" she calmly clarified, making it seem like a casual query.

"having...." I began to respond, but she promptly covered my mouth with her hand."

(A/n -Iykyk)

"I am not pregnant, meri maa. Just shut your mouth," she scolded, She releasing her palm from my mouth.

"Ohhhh," I sighed in relief.

Ranjini then proceeded to share what she deemed important news.

She reminded me of the job interview where I had used her address, and the joining letter had arrived the previous day.Overwhelmed with joy, I couldn't contain my excitement.

"I got the job Jini, so happy!" I cheered, and she smiled at my joy.

**************************************

Hello everyone! Exciting news – there's an update. Join us in Devika Vyas's journey. Happy reading, and if you enjoyed the chapter, please vote.

— Author:)