Chapter 1

Ashes from fires drift in the hot air. The roar of ritual drums drowns out the crowd's noise, as people gather despite the unbearable heat to witness the ritual. A south wind carries dust from the fields, which settles on the sweaty faces of the onlookers, rendering them indistinguishable, like identical, faceless masks. Through the lattice doors of her palanquin, the young lady observes the people pushing and craning their necks to catch a glimpse of her face.

"Make way for Lady Lee Soo, bride of the great Water Lord Wang Su!" the heralds announce repeatedly. Meanwhile, grim, silent warriors use sticks to clear a path through the crowd of onlookers.

Lee Soo catches a glimpse of the river's shimmer and is surprised by how swiftly the procession approaches the ritual site. She murmurs like a spell, "The Emperor will fix everything, rescind the decree, and banish the heartless priests. Any moment now. People can't be this cruel," trying to quell the icy fear clutching her heart. The cone-shaped golden cases on the tips of her fingers tremble slightly. Lee Soo cowers, hugging her knees and burying her tear-streaked face in the folds of her dress. The garlands of flowers, adorned with precious stones in her hair, sway in time with her sobs.

No faith, desire, or hope remains in Lee Soo's heart, only memories. She particularly recalls the goldfish with transparent fins swimming in the palace fountain and the young emperor passing by. He hadn't even glanced at her then, merely slowing his pace. Days later, when heralds announced throughout the city that he had chosen his bride, Lee Soo's heart had skipped a beat before joyfully pounding, filled with a ghostly happiness. Since then, the full moon has only bloomed twice in the sky.

As the servants lower the palanquin, Lee Soo watches the doors being flung open. Bright sunlight momentarily blinds her. The crowd surges forward, their roar sweeping over the gathered heads like wind through dry branches. The bride steps onto a soft carpet. Maids hurry to straighten the long train of her scarlet dress, embroidered with golden carp. Suppressing a sigh, Lee Soo walks slowly and resignedly toward the shore. She observes the enthusiastic greeting from the ordinary people. Servants shower the bride with rice, freshwater pearls, coins, and flower petals. Trumpets blare, their volume competing with the priests' hysterical cries. Only a few women in the front rows discreetly wipe away tears.

Lее Soo smiles tightly, acknowledging the rules. Becoming the chosen one of the Lord of Water is, indeed, a great honor. Her sacrifice offers people hope of salvation from hunger and disease.

In despair, she realizes the Emperor has not come. The high priest, bowing and offering congratulations, leads her to a boat painted bright red, adorned with flowers and ribbons. She steps into the boat. The priest then closes the curtains of the canopy and orders the servants to load chests filled with expensive fabrics, precious stones, incense, and money into the boat.

The Great River's clear waters flow slowly toward the sea. The cloudless sky reflects in them like a mirror. Amidst the endless blue, a red spot stands out-the wedding boat, sailing into the distance.

The Supreme Deity is bored. It has only been a couple of years, but the people are restless once again. Whenever he is deep in thought, they start to beat drums, light fires, and inundate the gods with prayers.

Soot from ritual fires blackens the snow-white steps leading to the Kingdom of Heaven, requiring maids to daily wipe them with flower essence. The noise frightens the timid birds in the Palace Garden, and the water in the marble fountains, usually blue, turns a bright pink-a color that deeply disturbs the Supreme Overlord.

He could easily destroy the empire's inhabitants, yet he has grown accustomed to them over the centuries. Watching the bustling life on Earth has become a habit for him.

Hearing of yet another sacrifice, the Supreme Overlord is perplexed by the people's insistence on throwing helpless girls into the Great River. He always feels saddened as he watches these poor souls, clad in silk attire and resembling bright flowers, slowly sink into the icy depths. This sadness triggers months of unceasing rain on Earth. Initially, people rejoice and dance in the rain, but they soon revert to their usual routines.

The maids whisper while cleaning the marble steps, "They've prepared the scarlet boat again."

"Hopefully, the Supreme Overlord is asleep and will miss the ritual. He was so upset last time."

"Remember? Last time, even the flowers wilted, and that dreadful pink water flowed from the fountains for days."

Unnoticed, the deity's eyelids flutter. In the human world, this causes ripples on the surface of the Great River. With his eyes still closed, the Supreme Overlord orders, "Call the Teacher."

Lee Soo struggles to untie the knots binding her ankles. The large gray stone at her feet whispers comfort, promising a swift end. Unsure whether this is the Emperor's final act of mercy or an ancient tradition, she knows she faces this ordeal alone. The rising water soaks the silk hem of her dress. Removing her heavy tiara, adorned with a golden bird, Lee Soo sets it aside, no longer needing it. As she kneels to pray, her thoughts unexpectedly turn towards escape.

"What if I plug the boat's hole and cut the rope? There must be something useful in the chests..." Lee Soo thinks as the water rises faster. Even in the face of imminent death, she clings to hope. As she takes her last breath and loses consciousness, an unknown force suddenly tears her from the Great River's grasp.