Chapter 10

The Supreme Overlord strolled leisurely around the hall, estimating the distance from the jasper statue of the celestial beast Pulao, adorned with a golden bell on its tail, to the lamp embellished with the colorful feather of a Fenghuang bird. Lee Soo, meanwhile, sat engrossed in a map spread across a wide table.

"Show me where the Earthly Kingdom is?" Wei An asked, pausing behind her.

Lee Soo's delicate finger hesitantly glided over the map's smooth, lotus-petal paper eventually resting on a dull green circle.

"Now find the Kingdom of Evil Spirits," Wei An instructed next.

Encouraged by her initial success, Lee Soo confidently indicated a vast area on the map.

"No, that's incorrect. Those are the Ice Fields in the Kingdom of Oblivion," Wei An corrected, shaking his head.

"But both areas are grey. How can I tell them apart?" Lee Soo asked, slightly perplexed.

"Don't you see? There are many shades of grey. You'll understand the difference when I show you the Dark Kingdoms. Although..." Wei An paused thoughtfully. "You're quite timid. I bet even a harmless werefox would scare you."

Imagining a terrified Lee Soo seeking refuge under his sleeve at the sight of a peace-loving, mischievous fox, Wei An couldn't help but grin. Lee Soo, noticing his expression, grew apprehensive.

"No way! Let the Mountain Demon take me instead! I refuse to go! What if the Supreme Overlord abandons me among the evil spirits?" she thought, her lips pressed tightly together.

"The young lady aspires to be a guest of the Mountain Demon? You should know his abode is dark and gloomy, filled with relatives eager to sample anyone who visits," Wei An teased.

Lee Soo suspected that the Supreme Overlord could easily read her thoughts.

"I won't go! I refuse to be sent to the Dark Kingdoms among monsters!" the young lady said, preparing to stand her ground against the seemingly indifferent deity. Yet, before she could get up from her chair, intending to leave the room, an object whizzed past her. With a thud, an ancient tome landed on the table.

The book was enormous, weathered with burnt edges and deep scratches. Its cover bore images of three primordial monsters.

"You need to learn about the classifications of Dark Kingdom residents," Wei An suggested, placing his hand on the sharp thorns adorning the book's binding.

"I won't even open it! Such reading will surely haunt my dreams," the young lady protested, shrugging her shoulders in a way that made her dress's collar stick out.

The peach blossom design on Lee Soo's slender neck captivated Wei An. He fixated on the painting, momentarily distracted from their dispute, fighting the urge to touch the delicate pink flowers on her skin.

"Rest assured, no nightmare creature can breach the Heavenly Kingdom's borders. The God of Sleep, Baku, guards us well," Wei An reassured her calmly, his gaze still lingering on the pattern adorning Lee Soo's neck.

At that moment, the doors silently opened, and the celestial Ding Shi, Lady of the Snowy Peaks, entered the hall gracefully, like fog descending into a valley. Lee Soo exhaled in relief, thankful for the opportunity to avoid further study of monsters. She was about to slip away unnoticed when Wei An's hand gently rested on her delicate shoulder, thwarting her escape.

As Ding Shi approached Wei An, she bowed respectfully.

"My lord, may the heavens remain bright and pure, and may the glory of the Supreme Lord shine radiantly over all Five Kingdoms," she said with deference.