Chapter 24

Matt Tristan

The moment when I finally met the girl I had promised to as a kid was truly enchanting and unforgettable. It was amazing to see how far we have come from those carefree days at the beach, where we used to play and dream about our future.

"You are now with me, Veron," I said.

"So, how was the steak?" I asked, unable to stop myself from laughing when I saw her awkward smile. We were at our restaurant again, and I hoped she wouldn't think that I was teasing her about what happened the last time she told me the steak was a bit salty.

I was curious about how she knew about Avelline. She didn't bring up the question again, maybe she didn't want to ruin the moment. I also didn't want to talk about it. The past is past, and that's something I never want to go back to anymore.

"So, bakit tayo nandito?" she asked.

"Sa tingin mo, bakit?" I joked. "I felt like bringing you here again. Look, I know we've been here last time, but I want to be here with you alone. Just you and me."

"But admit it, the last time we were here was a memorable moment," Daye smiled at me.

"Indeed! That's why I brought you here, wala munang friends na kasama. Gusto ko lang talagang i-enjoy 'tong lugar na 'to kasama ka," I held her hand. "Kung saan tayo unang nagkakilala."

I entered the room I reserved; nasa another room naman si Daye. Ibinaba ko ang mga gamit ko at naligo. After I took a bath, my phone rang. Xyron messaged in our group chat.

Xy: Boss MT! Tara, noms! Hindi mo ba kami nami-miss?

Jack: Matt, ano? I can pick you up, sabay na tayo.

Matt: Boys, I'm on a short vacation with someone.

Jack: Aba, sino 'yan? May humigit na kay Xy?

Xy: Ay! Hindi po lalaban. IYKYK!!!!

Napailing na lang ako sa kakulitan ng dalawang 'to. I don't care kung sino'ng iisipin nila, they had a clue anyway. I invited Daye to go outside for a bit at hangga't maliwanag pa. Wala nang araw, pero hindi pa naman gano'n kadilim.

I don't know, but I felt butterflies in my stomach, realizing that we were together. I couldn't help but smile for no reason.

"Ang ganda mo. Ligawan na kaya kita?" bulong ko.

"What are you mumbling about?"

"Ang pogi ko today, sabi ko." This is not the right time to court her; I don't want her to think that I am taking advantage. Even though we met ten years ago, ngayon palang ulit kami nagkita and I want to take our time to know each other. I want to show her that I deserve her.

Just wait, Daye. I will make my promise come true.

"Uhm, good evening. I'll buy this." I bought her a gold necklace with a sun pendant on it, "and also, I'll pay for what that pretty lady right there would buy." I pointed to Daye. But it was so cute that I could be mistaken for her boyfriend, an honor to me.

After that, we went to a beach restaurant that I knew; was my family friend's business, so I brought Daye. I smiled when I realized that our outfits kinda matched. She looks stunning.

We saw a lady shouting at one of the waiters, and then I looked at Daye; she was suddenly restless.

"Matt? Is that you?" I happily greeted Khalix. It was good to see him again after a very long time. I wonder how he and Daye met after he told me they knew each other.